Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,842   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My solution was:
    1) A 48 to 49mm step-up ring - $2
    2) a lens hood off of "the bay" with the following description "Metal 49mm Vented Curved Hood for Leica Leitz Lenses" - $8

Works well:
    1) No vignetting
    2) No flare
    3) Minimal interference with rangefinder
    4) Camera sits flat on the table (is not tilted backwards due to an oversized hood)

Best regards

Also Todd B (Barlow)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0793.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Ruber shades can also be cut off circular. Would look nicer but need even more skills to look nice.

I guess most old, metal, short shades of the right thread size would work. At least for the finder window, as these cameras were all similarly built.
    You can make a wire rectangle to fit inside the front of a rubber shade to hold it in rectangular form. Measure the diameter of the inside front, calculate the circumference, then make a 2:3 aspect ratio rectangle of wire with the same perimeter length. Hey presto, a nice looking rectangular shade which will protect the front of the lens from bumps.

If you're stepping up to 49mm anyway I found a rectangular hood that works a treat. Slight blocking of viewfinder but not as bad as any round hood I've tried.

The one I have is from Hama, and it clamps to a 49mm filter. I think the vented hoods would also work well. The Hama will look more like the original.

JD

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You can make a wire rectangle to fit inside the front of a rubber shade to hold it in rectangular form. Measure the diameter of the inside front, calculate the circumference, then make a 2:3 aspect ratio rectangle of wire with the same perimeter length. Hey presto, a nice looking rectangular shade which will protect the front of the lens from bumps.

That is a good idea!

As an alternative might serve a rubber shade Kaiser offer: it has two curved and two flat sides and is adjustable in relation to ist filter-ring. Looks neat, but is only availabled in 46mm thread. One might use step down rings, but that might lead to vignetting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have a look at http://www.fotodioxpro.com/ I used one of their hoods on the 75mm for my Pentax 645. A square hood, it threaded onto the lens and then had a little thumbscrew to allow orienting it properly. Just a though, YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Barlow View Post
    My solution was:
    1) A 48 to 49mm step-up ring - $2
    2) a lens hood off of "the bay" with the following description "Metal 49mm Vented Curved Hood for Leica Leitz Lenses" - $8

Works well:
    1) No vignetting
    2) No flare
    3) Minimal interference with rangefinder
    4) Camera sits flat on the table (is not tilted backwards due to an oversized hood)

Best regards

Also Todd B (Barlow)
    This. Best solution IMO, a classic rangefinder hood for 10 bucks, and a solution to add filters in a common size to boot. Nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats what I landed up doing.. Is going through Amazon and getting step up 48-52 ring with Vented Hood.. Why 52mm? Cause I have a few nice filters I use for my FE, so I figured I could get more bang for buck If I could switch out filters between camera's.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Pentax 49 mm lens hood for a ST 28mm 3.5, it is a slip on and will tighten down on the Canon Lens. A little wide for a 50mm, seems to work well. I also have a 48mm round lens good, clips the right lower bottom of the viewfinder, in most cases not an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Thats what I landed up doing.. Is going through Amazon and getting step up 48-52 ring with Vented Hood.. Why 52mm? Cause I have a few nice filters I use for my FE, so I figured I could get more bang for buck If I could switch out filters between camera's.
    The down side of going to 52mm is that most likely the hood will be larger as well, so it will increase slightly the obstruction of the viewfinder image.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was thinking about that.. I'm hoping that the tapered hood won't be a factor. I can alway exchange it if it doesn't work out. Amazon has a ton to choose from. I pick up the camera today form the shop. Baffle has been replaced. I just thought the hood accessory would be a practical and attractive emelishment to the QL17. I'll keep you guys posted.

Todd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin