Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,640   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hood alternitive for Canon QL17?

Hey guys,

I was looking the the Lens hood for my newly aquired Canon GII QL17. I'm not having much luck finding original hood. Is there an alternative hood that work on this camera? The rubber one I heard obscure the viewfinder, so that's out. Any suggestions?

Todd

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about cutting off a section from that rubber lens shade?

What about rolling one yourself from cardboard and cementing it to some apt filter-ring?
    Even better, making a rectangular one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestion on that however. I think that would look pretty lousy. Due to my lack of ability to have it look nice. Anyone else?

Todd

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're so vain...

Shooter
    35mm

cool

It's a cool-looking camera so I do not blame you.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ruber shades can also be cut off circular. Would look nicer but need even more skills to look nice.

I guess most old, metal, short shades of the right thread size would work. At least for the finder window, as these cameras were all similarly built.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-20-2014 at 10:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was able to find one original Canon hood for my QL17 but unable to find a second one for my second camera. I was, however, able to find a generic metal hood on eBay. The generic hood works but obscures the viewfinder more than the original.

https://flic.kr/p/8XWY9C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Range Finders 018b sml.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I was looking the the Lens hood for my newly aquired Canon GII QL17. I'm not having much luck finding original hood. Is there an alternative hood that work on this camera? The rubber one I heard obscure the viewfinder, so that's out. Any suggestions?
    ???

Todd, this post from only eight days ago is from your recent thread regarding the same camera...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool.. I was looking into a 48mm-49mm stepup ring on amazon. They also have a truck load 49mm lens hoods made of metal. The hoods says made for Leica Sum lens. I guess 49mm is 49mm, it wouldn't matter if it was Leica or Canon. The only thing is the view finder cover over.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    The only thing is the view finder cover over.
    Assuming you mean viewfinder obstruction. You can find on the Evil Site numerous Chinese stores that sell "vented and tilted" 49mm lens hoods, designed precisely to address that issue. And it is also easy to find a seller for a 48->49mm step up ring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin