Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,054   Online: 1266

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    What a relief! I should had though so. It locks the shutter when the exposure is out of limits just like my Oly 35RC. It is a bit annoying that there is no metering when going manual, but that's o.k. I can live perfectly without that.
    As for the batteries would the zinc air ones that provide 1.4V do? I have been given with four old mercury (by Kodak) cells with that, but for sure they won't last forever.
    Yes zinc air are good if you can get one to fit.

google ' mercury battery problem ' and down load the PDF. You need to be good with a soldering iron to make the adapters.

I use a separate meter with mono...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that is what I will do. I will use a separate meter. As for soldering, I would end up with burned fingers but not a single adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent decision to buy both. The Minolta 7sII don't come up that often. I have had both. I find the Canon GIII to be a more robust camera. The Minolta is a joy to use. So light. If you have a dead meter shoot the sunny 16 rule on manual. Works beautifully for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's meter works perfectly, but I do not trust much those meters especially when mounting filters on them. It is as if the frame of the filter itself cuts a portion of the view of those light meter "eyes" leading to underexposure. When I go out light, I use my iphone and the pocket light meter app. Else, I always carry along my Gossen Luna SBC (the one with the leds). Sunny 16 works for me, but not most of the time (I still have to get used to working it out properly).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    It's meter works perfectly, but I do not trust much those meters especially when mounting filters on them. It is as if the frame of the filter itself cuts a portion of the view of those light meter "eyes" leading to underexposure. When I go out light, I use my iphone and the pocket light meter app. Else, I always carry along my Gossen Luna SBC (the one with the leds). Sunny 16 works for me, but not most of the time (I still have to get used to working it out properly).
    Cut off would lead to overexposure.
    Could be your alkaline battery is new?
    Some people find they need a short hood to block out the sky to avoid underexposure...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I meant overexposure. Sorry.
    I still have a few mercury batteries that work perfectly with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a little late to the thread, but I'll chime in anyway. I have both, and I shoot both regularly. In fact, I also refurbish QL17's, and I have about 35 on hand right now (give or take). You really couldn't have gone with either camera, but, truth be told, I prefer the Minolta for use, and the Canon for resale.

With your Canon, I feel pretty confident saying you need to replace the light seals. All of them. There are 4 plus the felt one (which usually doesn't need replacing). Three on the door, and one around the double exposure button on the bottom. The 3 on the door are pretty easy, albeit tedious and somewhat messy. The one around the button needs to have the base plate removed. The hardest part is cutting a circle (or reasonable facsimile) for the button to work unobstructed.

The battery that I use is the air-zinc Wein MRB625's 1.35v, which is the correct voltage. You can get them on ebay pretty cheap. They only last a short while, so you may want to stock up on them (they discharge when exposed to air).

Why do I prefer the Minolta? The lens. It's a Zeiss design collaboration, and is amazingly sharp. I also like the size. It's a very subtle camera, and people don't think twice about it. Also, it doesn't have light seals that deteriorate like the Canon. And, it takes LR44 batteries, which are really easy and cheap to get. If you buy one 4LR44 battery, you can open it up, and there are 4 LR44's inside. Sweet.

But, they are both really good cameras, and if you do get the 7sII, let us know which one you like better.

And, on a side note, if you need light seals for the QL17, let me know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin