Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,603   Online: 828

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Canonet GIII 17QL or Minolta Himatic 7sii

I am being offered these two at the same price. I can afford only one. What do you recommend? The Canon or the Minolta? (I wish I could get both)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The one that's in better shape.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have both. The Minolta is a bit smaller and lighter and simpler in construction and is a bit easier to stuff into a coat pocket, the Canon feels a bit "tighter" and better made. That could be partly sample variation. The Canon shutter speeds go to 1/4 plus B, the Minolta only to 1/8 plus B; this makes no difference to me as I use either camera only hand-held and rarely want to tempt fate beyond 1/15. The control rings around the lens are laid out a bit differently and have a different "feel"; you might prefer one or the other. I can't tell you anything about the meters because I don't use them - I use both cameras in full manual mode and don't bother with a battery. If you want to use the meter you'll need to check current battery compatibility. There's a dedicated Canon flash for the Canonet; I've never used it nor any other flash with either of these two cameras. The Canonet uses 48mm filters and caps, which are a bit of a nuisance to find; the Minolta uses 49mm accessories, which are widely available.

I happen to prefer the Minolta. I can't give you any good reason other than that I'm subjectively more comfortable with it in the hand. That's not really much help as your reaction could be the opposite. Do try to get your hands on both before making a decision.

Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Do you have the ability to test them or see what condition they are in?

They can both be great cameras but some issues are expensive or impractical to repair. If there is the hint of anything wrong with one, take the other. Check the shutter speeds, condition of the rangefinder patch, behavior of the meter and particularly on the 7sII verify the aperture stops down correctly. They are prone to a small part breaking in the meter resulting in the camera stops down to ~f16 all the time (https://www.flickr.com/photos/cannel...57624508226403)

Assuming they are both in great condition, I'd go with whichever feels ergonomically better to you. I love the nub at the base of the aperture ring on the 7sII. The Canon feels a bit more rigid and solidly constructed.

At least personally, the optics seemed similar enough that I don't see a reason to take one over the other. The 7sII has the better reputation - and I didn't perform a direct comparison when I had both - but at no point did I feel like either camera let me down optically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have direct access to them. They both look nice and shinny. The Minolta is nice and small, but Canon looks also nice and the controls seem to fit better in my hands.
    They both work perfectly. That is now a hell of a dilemma. Which one is more likely to last longer? I won't be using their meter anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not take both, shoot with both to decide which you prefer, then sell the one you don't want? That way you can form your own final opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot speak for the Minolta Himatic 7sii (but I do have a Minolta AL-F and it's shoots nicely) but I have a Canonent and the lens on it is superb.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its almost impossible to know which will last longer.

I've seen quite a few 7sIIs with the problem I mentioned above. That may be because the people mostly sell the broken ones. Canonets seem a hair more prone to developing stutter blade sticking issues, though I have no idea how common this is.

Whats the asking price?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm partial to the Canon, better fit.
    The QL loading is pretty fool proof, but never underestimate fools. Like Oren I don't bother with a battery either.
    The Canon is locked if it's on "A" and has no battery also has a GN function if you don't have the Canon flash.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems I'll go for the Canon. Later this month if that little Minolta is still there, I'll buy it too. I like a lot that quick loading feature of the canonets. I have the 19QL, the first model, but it is way too big to carry around, bigger than my Nikon FE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin