Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 799

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Is this lens flare?

Hello everyone. I recently shot a couple of rolls of Tri-X 400, rated them at 1600 and developed them in rodinal 1+100 for 90 minutes. I am puzzled by a couple of frames in which the right side of the picture is much darker then the left and they were taken in full sunlight. Am I correct to assume that this was either lens flare or a shadow of the rim of the lens projecting into the lens? The previous and following frames on the strip look OK so I don't think this is development related.

What do you guys think?

Leica IIIf.
    50mm Summitar Collapsible
    Tri-X 400. Shot at 1600
    Developed in Rodinal 1+100 for 90 min.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NYC Trip 7-31-14 Pacific004-1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	797.8 KB 
ID:	92104

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a shadow of the rim
    ......that would be vignetting and not lens flare I would think. However, I cannot tell if there is vignetting here or something else taking place. Most vignetting I've seen usually creeps in on all 4 corners. Lets see what others might think has taken place here.
    "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care"

- Theodore Roosevelt -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not sure -- i am unfamiliar with that developer combination, not to mention any developing time longer than 20 minutes -- was this stand developing or with agitation?

if no agitation, I wonder if it is uneven development or something. Is the whole roll like this no matter which angle the camera was held at?

is it just this frame? Maybe the sky on that side was just darker and your developer combination heightened it. i dunno...

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hand/finger or camera strap on left side of the lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go with jcc on this. On a number of occasions I've blocked the lens when turning a rangefinder camera on it's side. You can't tell it happened until the negatives are processed.
    6X4.5cm, 6x6cm/6x9cm, 6x7cm, 5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, Full-Plate, 8x10, 12x10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this the full frame? Looks a bit too long, like you've cropped it a bit.

Which way does the shutter go on a III? Rating at 1600 in daylight, you're going to have some very fast shutter speeds. If one curtain is faster than the other you can get things like this (especially if one speeds up or slows down as they go)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    horizontal travel shutter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Could this be uneven development from doing Stand development?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin