Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,413   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus XA - Shutter speed issue?

Just picked up an XA, and I'm not sure if it's working correctly or not. I have not loaded film in it yet.

With the back open, as if you were loading film, it fires fine, and the shutter is quick, somewhere I'd guess between 1/60 - 1/250. But when I close the door (no film), and take a shot, the shutter stays open for approximately 9 seconds. I can't seem to get the shutter to change to a 'normal' speed no matter what setting I use (ASA or f/stop). The meter is working, and the batteries are fresh.

Is this because there is no film in the camera, or is there something wrong with it? Is it fixable without major work, or is this now a parts camera? Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the camera is made to click when the back is open to help in loading.

When it is closed, it should be working properly, however, which is to say with small lens openings it should have long exposures, and with wide lens openings it should have short exposures.

one thing to keep in mind is that there are actually two meter circuits in the camera, one for the shutter and one for the needle in the viewfinder. They don't always agree, but I've found the shutter one normally very accurate. If yours is not operating properly, I fear there may be issues. Much sorrow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any idea what it would take to repair the shutter circuit? The metering is spot on, but at any aperture/ASA setting, the shutter stays open for approx. 9 seconds.

Shooter
    35mm
    Summicron1, are you certain? I thought that the shutter speed is NOT changed with the opening of the back.

Kirks518: Something is wrong here: are you sure that when the back is closed you are pointing it at a bright light? As nice as this Olympus series is, there really are problems with the shutter button ... but this is the first I heard of this. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    David - Just took it outside, pointed directly at the Florida sun, and pressed the shutter. 9 second exposure time at f/2.8 with film speed set to ASA 400. I then opened the back, pressed the shutter, and estimated shutter speed somewhere around 1/60-1/200. But no matter what I do, with the back closed, I get a (roughly) 9 second shutter open time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put a piece of film in it and see if you get the same response.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Just did. Same response.

I found the repair manual online, and the closest shutter problem listed in the repair manual is if the shutter gives inaccurate speeds when set to flash. So I set it to flash, and the shutter speed sounds about right (1/60 or so), but at any other f/stop setting it still does the 9 sec deal. From what I can gather from the repair manual, there may be an issue with magnet #2, or a contact the is either malformed, or not resilient enough. Now to figure which is the problem.

Looks like a rainy day project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirks518 View Post
    Just did. Same response.

I found the repair manual online, and the closest shutter problem listed in the repair manual is if the shutter gives inaccurate speeds when set to flash. So I set it to flash, and the shutter speed sounds about right (1/60 or so), but at any other f/stop setting it still does the 9 sec deal. From what I can gather from the repair manual, there may be an issue with magnet #2, or a contact the is either malformed, or not resilient enough. Now to figure which is the problem.

Looks like a rainy day project.

this is the point where i throw it out an use the spare i found at the thrift store. If you can fix it, I salute you!

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll let you know how it turns out if/when I try and work on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't Mg2 the magnet buried just below the shutter?
    You can see the armature from the bottom of the camera, near the front of camera.
    You can clean it with a 1/8' strip of paper cut from a dollar bill dipped in alcohol. The paper from a bill is textured.

Watch out! The feds will nab you for defacing currency.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin