Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,197   Online: 762

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Focusing problem with M3

Hey guys,

I need some advice.. I think I might an issue with my M3. I posted some symptom on another thread. To summarize. It almost acts as if it focuses backward. The further away the subject get the worse off the focus. Is there any experts on that focusing cam just inside camera body. The lens I have with it is the 50mm DR f2.0. Everything works on the camera perfectly except for this focusing issue. I want make make sure I exhaust all my options on the help forum before I consider sending off for a CLA. Anyone here from Albuquerque or Rio Rancho to give a look over.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when you set the lens at infinity -- turn the ring all the way to the infinity lock --and have the lens mounted correctly, what does the viewfinder's rangefinder patch say about that telephone pole at the other end of the block?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    when you set the lens at infinity -- turn the ring all the way to the infinity lock --and have the lens mounted correctly, what does the viewfinder's rangefinder patch say about that telephone pole at the other end of the block?

On the money... Thats why I'm not understanding why my pics are blurry. Got any educated guesses?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post

On the money... Thats why I'm not understanding why my pics are blurry. Got any educated guesses?

Todd
    hmmm. Not really. Did the lens come with the camera? I'm not really familiar with the DR summicron -- the cam in the camera is actuated by a ring in the lens, which is in turn actuated by the lens elements which are set in their own spiral of threads -- it's a complex arrangement that moves the lens elements in and out to focus in rythem with the rangefinder. The ring in the lens that moves the rangefinder has to move the same distance no matter which lens you use, while the lens elements obviously move a different distance. Those all have to match up.

One wonders if someone "serviced" the lens at some point and put it back together wrong. It sounds as if the lens elements in your lens are too far out from the camera body to start with, is why I wonder this. If the lens element unit is not matched with the focusing unit, this can happen. If that is the case, focusing them on something closer moves the lens elements further out, and makes it all even fuzzier.

I saw the post on the other thread that this lens unit unscrews. I assume you are screwing it back in all the way...something is wonky somewhere.

bummer. may need to have it looked at or have words with the person who sold it to you. If no other lens is handy, it is small consolation that the DR Summicron is one of the all-time greats. I have an even earlier collapsible (same lens elements, different mount) that I use constantly and it is top drawer. I joke with a friend that we should substitute it for one of the newest models in a test and dare anyone to tell the difference.

Just drive to ogden, why don't you? I'm retired, we could take all the time we needed to test it out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Inclosed is a picture of our piano. I focused on the small box with looks like tree illustration on it. As you can see, this image is completely out of focus. Shot 125 F2.8. It act as if it focuses backwards.

Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Focus 2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    I had to adjust every one of my rangefinders after purchase. Even if it appears infinity is on it may not be. I don't own a Leica but I would assume they have vertical and horizontal adjustments. I use a tripod to make sure there is no movement when I check. Infinity should be checked at a very far distance, not a block. I'm using tree tops about 1/3rd of a mile away to be sure. I'm sure there is some mathematical formula to derive the minimum infinity distance from base length but it was just easier to look as far away as possible than to try to calculate. It made a difference from using a point that was 60 or 70 meters away, at least on my Canon 7. Not sure about the base length on the Leicas. Then check some closer distances 10 meters, 3 meters 1 meter and adjust as necessary. Make sure you are measuring from the film plane.

To QC your infinity; set up your camera with lens mounted and the back off so that you can lock the shutter open and see through the lens and camera out the back. Place scotch tape or a piece of film at the film plane so that it is exactly where the exposed film would be during a shot. Place a mark on the tape or film at the center of the frame with a marker, an x will do. Make sure your Leica lens aperture is wide open and is set to infinity. Now with another large aperture long lens on an SLR set it at infinity with aperture wide open. Using the SLR viewfinder look through the front of the Leica lens to see the x you marked at the film plane. With everything set up correctly, the x should be sharp. If it is not either your setup is wrong or there is a problem with the lens / mount. If there is a problem you would have to identify why and correct it. I can adjust lenses on my Argus's to correct infinity offset issues. Not sure about m-mounts. I do have an Argus lens that was re-assembled wrong at some point in it's life and will not check out at infinity. Trying to figure out what was wrong was how I learned to do all this....
    Last edited by Lamar; 11-24-2014 at 06:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The moon is the best focus target. Failing that a white cottage a mile away.

But the test at infinity is not complete for a M or Canon 7. They both are good for /0.95 5cm.

The lens, the registration plate and the rangefinder each need to be inside production tolerances to be sharp from 0.7 to infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you have it checked out and recalibrated by a professional.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have another lens? Can you borrow one for just a few shots? That way you can discern if the problem is with the lens or the camera.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a camera shop here locally that has a bunch of new and used gear. I know they have a section of Leica stuff. Maybe I'll run by and ask the shop owner if I could put on a used lens and take a few shots out the store for testing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin