Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,206   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Seriously? Leica for $250K?

Is there really this much value in this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-MP-BLA...item418c28fb80

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, if you value the money you spent on the purchase then definitely yes there is, otherwise I have never really managed to get my head around these extravagant pricing for actually any camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's just silly. His asking price is pure speculation, and ebay strikes me as an odd place to see what he claims is such a unique item ... if i thought it was worth that much (which I don't) I'd want to have it examined professionally myself, and have an attorney/researcher study its provenance to prove it is what he says it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least you get free shipping. I would expect hand delivery via a private jet :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by didjiman View Post
    At least you get free shipping. I would expect hand delivery via a private jet :-)
    Plus a decent bikini show !

Shooter
    35mm

price

At one time I sold real estate. I would explain in great detail how a seller's house was worth no more than, say, $300,000. He would accept that a house LIKE HIS was worth that but would insist that HIS house was worth a lot more. Why. Because it is HIS house. Do not expect most folks to be rational when it comes to big bucks. It is something beyond the human condition. And don't get your underwear in a twist because of stupid price tags.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not only that, the seller has the cojones to state that he has a "modest" price on it! Reading the ad is a wonderful window into realtorspeak too. Total BS from one end to the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a lot of this sort of stuff in ebay, or at least, you see a lot of it called out in forums.

As for this particular example, does anyone else think that it looks faked?
    To my eye brassing looks more strategic than natural, and what's with all those scratches under the paint in the shot of the rear of the camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Things are "worth" what people will pay for them objects don't have intrinsic value if some collector with more money than sense will pay that amount, that's what the Leica is worth to him.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    The listing makes reference to "blue chip stock" - this is being sold as an investment, not a photographic tool. It's an extremely risky investment as you're putting so much money into something which is just as likely to go down in price as up. I foresee a large number of "rare" and limited production cameras and lenses coming up for sale in the next ten years or so as the original owners either sell their collections to fund retirement care or their next of kin sell off the estate. If, say, fifty of these hit the market in one year the price would go down.

A key part of investment is talking the item up. Tell people that it's rare and desirable and valuable often enough and they'll believe you. What you don't want is for someone to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

TBH the only smart way to speculate on photographic equipment is to buy things you actually want to use at low prices. If prices go up, you win. If prices stay steady, you still win as you bought something you wanted and produced plenty of images with it.
    Last edited by PentaxBronica; 12-20-2014 at 09:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin