Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,204   Posts: 1,659,242   Online: 862

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Voightlander M lenses?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what people takes are on the Voightlander M series lenses for Leica are like? I noticed that are a little more reasonable in price. I'd like to score a wide angle lens sometime down the road.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very good lenses, never disappointed or had a problem with them.

CV lenses owned: 21, 25, 35f2.5, 40f1.4, 50f2.5

(still own the 21 and 40)
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    cool.. anyone else?

Todd

Shooter
    35mm
    I own, and use, the 15, 21, and 40. The 40 is a bit of a mechanical problem - it keeps unscrewing itself - but is easy to fix. Other than that, no mechanical problems and the images are fine. BTW, you might also look at the Zeiss Ikons; more than a Voightlander, less than a Leica.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Todd, Cosina lenses for M mount under Vogtlander label are very well known, popular and reviews are plenty.

I like Color Skopar 35 2.5. Have it as LTM on Bessa R and now PII version on M4-2.
    Small, nice, sharp, nothing wrong lens if you can't afford Leica or Zeiss.
    Wide enough for me
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One reason they're so popular with the RF crowd is they give great performance at a modest price. Most of them seem to hold their value pretty well, so you can buy one to try it out and if you don't like it, sell it for most/all of your money back. I have the 21/4, 25/4 and 35/1.4 lenses. Build quality for the most part is very good.

The general consensus is that they have a more "modern" look with a bit more contrast than some of the older classic Leica lenses. They also make some crazy fast glass like the 35/1.2 or the 50/1.1, if you're into low-light shooting. The 35/1.4 is my "go-to" walkabout lens on my Leica M2 - perfect size and good speed.

The Zeiss ZM lenses (also from Cosina) have very good reputations as well. More expensive than the Voigtlanders, but optically better corrected and also a more "modern" look with high-contrast, sharpness and better flare correction than even the Leica lenses. One benefit of the VC lenses is many of them use the same 39mm filter size as Leica, if you have a mix of the two brands. I think the ZM lenses use 43mm filters.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 25mm/4 is very sharp, minimal distortion, good flare control, a bit contrasty compared to old lenses from the 50s-60s.
    To me, out-of-focus is just blunt-blurry; the Zeiss version may be "nicer" in this respect - but this is in the beholder's eye.
    Mechanically, after 7-8 years, as new.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I own a ton of 'em. For example, all but the 25mm Color Skopar (I have the 21, 28, 35 and 50). I also have the 35mm and 50mm Noktons. They're built very well (better than Zeiss ZMs) but not quite as refined as Leica lenses. Optically, they perform rather well - though it varies somewhat. Some lenses have focus shift (but so does Leica; witness the 35 'lux ASPH pre-FLE). Some have distortion and random funky bokeh (e.g. 35mm f/1.4 Nokton, though it IS designed after a lens of similar performance). Some are just cult classics, such as the 35mm f/1.2 Nokton or the older LTM Noktons.

Honestly, they're worth pretty much every penny and I've yet to be disappointed.

I've got a bunch of reviews of Voigtländer lenses if you're interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like them, but not the M versions necessarily, but the LTM ones that offer some gems and can be made into M with an adapter (and mean you have an excuse to also buy an LTM body)

Favourite is the 28mm Skopar, a very fine lens indeed and you are very lucky to find one in LTM mount. Then the 35mm Skopar, again a lenses that punches well above its price point. And to make it a hatrick the 75mm f/2.5 Skopar, a sublime lens that really is a competitor with the 75mm Leica Summarit. But they are many others, just research each one because some are more successful than others depending on the use you want to put it to.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hard to find a bad one. I have the 21/4, 28/3.5, 35/2.5 pancake, 35/2.5 color skopar, and the 50/2.5.

all of them are excellent optically. 95% of the performance of the Leica optics at 20% of the price. Build quality can sometimes be an issue, but thats expected given their price point,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin