Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,408   Online: 989

Shooter
    35mm

what rangefinder (again?)

I know it has been asked before, but I may need more specific advice.
    I read that most rangefinder do not meter in manual mode. Are there some that do meter in manual mode? (I am talking about inexpensive cameras such as Olympus35rc, Canonet, Yashica etc).
    I mean a camera that would show you the meter reading while YOU decide for fstop and shutter speed combination.
    Thank you,
    Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmalossini
    the meter reading while YOU decide for fstop and shutter speed combination.
    Thank you,
    Max
    I don't have one but I heard the Konica S2 is completely manual and does not require batteries. I actually never seen one that does what you describe. Maybe the guys at www.rangefinderforum.com can help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it is much less of a problem than you might expect having a camera that won't meter in manual. I have a Canon GIII QL17 which has this issue, but it is very easy to switch it to auto, meter off what you want and then set it back to the right manual setting. I know it sounds odd and it can be a pain at first, but it is really just a question of getting used to a slightly different way of working and takes no longer. I certainly find it a lot faster than a separate meter.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a Yashica Minister D maybe. See:

http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/chrono2.html

Great little manual camera for less than $20 (maybe)

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmalossini
    I know it has been asked before, but I may need more specific advice.
    I read that most rangefinder do not meter in manual mode. Are there some that do meter in manual mode? (I am talking about inexpensive cameras such as Olympus35rc, Canonet, Yashica etc).
    I mean a camera that would show you the meter reading while YOU decide for fstop and shutter speed combination.
    Thank you,
    Max
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Times New Roman]Another fun little camera to consider is one of the Yashica Lynx'es. There are 3 models to chose from. The Lynx 1000, the Lynx 5000 and the Lynx 14. The 1000 and 5000 models have f1.8 Yashinon lenses while the 14 has a huge f1.4 lens up front. All are leaf shutter lenses, so you can use them for synchro-sun photography at all speeds. I have a Lynx 5000 that gives very good results for a camera that I paid $15.00 for[/FONT].[/[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Voigtlander R2A and R3A RFs have metered manual mode. Check out cameraquest dot com. They are selling new for $599. I really want one of these...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, $549.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just bite the bullet and buy a Leica M6TTL, or maybe an M7 if you want aperture-priority AE. Sell the wife, sell the kids, sell your mother, whatever. Ignore the budget constraints, ignore responsibility, and just get "the best".
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin