Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,653   Posts: 1,481,314   Online: 1029

Shooter
    35mm

Jupiter 9 or...?

Hello All,

I have an early Kiev 4a (1959) with jupiter 8. I like the 85mm focal lenth to shoot lowlight performance in jazz clubs & theater. Will the Jupiter-9 be sharp at f2 or should I pay more for one of the Zeiss 85's or even a Nikkor 85. Or is a Sonnar a Sonnar?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had one of those 85s in a Leica fit a while back. As I recall, it was really a soft focus lens at full aperture and took about 3 stops to crispen up.

Shooter
    35mm
    While there are some problems fine tunning the J9 to Leica Screw Mount I find my Contax mount J9 very sharp at f/2 when used with my Kiev-2a.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello
    These J-9 nice pictures were posted on another forum by Richard Pang:

http://www.beststuff.com/forum/read....&i=3378&t=3378

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Akkorn
    Hello All,

I have an early Kiev 4a (1959) with jupiter 8. I like the 85mm focal lenth to shoot lowlight performance in jazz clubs & theater. Will the Jupiter-9 be sharp at f2 or should I pay more for one of the Zeiss 85's or even a Nikkor 85. Or is a Sonnar a Sonnar?

Thanks,
    Hello,
    I also have an early Kiev (same year as yours) and I had the chance to try out the J9. It's a good lens, also if mine is subject to flare without the hood.

Btw, as usual with FSU stuff, you have to find a good one, quality control wasn't so effective in their plants.

Cheers,
    Rob.

If properly assembled the Jupiter is a good clone of the 85 Jena Sonnar
    The 85 Stuttgart Sonnar is rarer than hen's teeth
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin