Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,945   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leica CL and lenses

Hello

I am planing to buy a leica cl body, but I'm bit confused about what lenses to seek for it and which works with it. Have someone used succesful some leica m39 screwmount lenses with an adapter in cl? I'm specially interested in Former Soviet Union Lenses like Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 and Jupiter-8 50mm f/2. I don't have money yet to buy leica's own lenses.

Thanks

Images
    Minolta made Rokkor M lenses in 90mm, 40mm and 28mm for the Leitz/Minolta CL and the Minolta CLE.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 will almost certainly not fit (interference with the large rear lens element). When I get home tonight, I will check it out.

Neal gave good advice, look for the Minolta Rokkor M lenses.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Toni,

the J12 won´t work on the CL/CLE. IIRC the CLE meter reads the light reflected from the shutter blinds and the rear element of the J12 will cover that.

The others (but the 20mm Russar) will work just fine with the CL and CLE... usually you´ll get the Summicron/Rokkor 40mm in a kit with the body, it´s a nice and compact lens.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Using an LTM adapter shouldn't be a problem. I mostly use Canon screw mount lenses on my M2. As others have said the large rear element probably will interfere with the metering. Too bad because the Jupiter 35/2.8 is a nice lens. You can probably pick up a used VC lens for a reasonable price and use the Jupiter 50.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for everyone. I now know basicly what I will buy for a normal lens, but how about the wide angle? Could someone recommend a cheap but good lens between 28mm and 35m.

How about collapsible lenses. Is there some that works wiht the cl. It would be nice to be able to carry my leica in pocket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't speak for the Russian lenses, as they're hard to come by locally, even though I've been looking at the photo swaps.

I have been using the Cosina-Voigtlander 15mm f:4.5, 21mm f:4, 75mm f:2.5, and a Hektor 135 f:4.5 with the CL (and CLE) with no interference with the meter arm, all of them on screw mount to Leica M adapters. The CLE meter reads off the shutter, so some deep lenses may interfere with the meter seeing the shutter, even though there's no meter arm to hit.

The CL is a very nice, quiet, small camera, and I love its metering. You might want to also look at the Minolta CLE for more clearance on deep lenses, although I don't like that its meter doesn't operate when you set exposure manually. The Cosina Voigtlander R3A is also worth looking at. Pretty well built (not to Leica M standards), a 1:1 finder, which I love, and both aperture priority autoexposure and manual with good metering indications in the finder. But the R3A has a louder shutter. These are similar, but not necessarily equivalent cameras. They each have their own quirks and features, and I like them all. However, the CL is best at being quiet and metering selectively, and the R3A has a more accurate rangefinder on a longer base and 1:1 finder. The CL uses the now defunct mercury 1.35V 625 cell, and doesn't read correctly with the modern 625 alkaline. The R3A uses two 76 cells, or a CR 1/3N.
    IIRC, the CL operates on shutter speeds between the marked speeds.

If you haven't spotted it yet, read: http://cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm

Hope this helps,
    Lee

Images
    The Rokkors are great lenses. My 90mm f/4 is marked "Made in Germany by Leitz". It's a Elmar with a 40.5 filter ring. The Japanese 40mm is a wonderful lens too.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    The Rokkors are great lenses. My 90mm f/4 is marked "Made in Germany by Leitz". It's a Elmar with a 40.5 filter ring. The Japanese 40mm is a wonderful lens too.
    Yes, they are. Although in my experience, the Minolta 28mm M-mount is pretty soft wide open. The 40mm Summicron is superb, and left an unfilled niche that C-V has again filled with the 40mm f:1.4 Nokton. The test shots I've seen show that to be an excellent lens as well.

As far as less expensive, I don't know the Russian lenses from experience. The Cosina-Voigtlander 35mm f:2.5 "classic" and their 28mm f:3.5 get excellent reviews, and can be had new for between US$225 and US$290, about the same as a used 40mm Summicron. There's also an estimation focus C-V 25mm f:4 right in that price range with unique click stops at three distances so that you can focus by feel. You can find the C-V lenses used as well, but they seem to hold their value. They're also not speed demons, so not suited for extensive low light shooting.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 90/4 Elmar-C version of the lens Flotsam mentioned. It is truly an excellent lens and relatively inexpensive for a Leitz. It also "kind of" uses the 39mm filters of other Leitz lenses. I say "kind of" because they will fit but not screw in all the way due to a difference in the thread pitch.

The 40mm Leitz and Rokkors are both considered as good as the 35mm Summicrons of the same period. They also are relative bargains.

Another possible wide angle is the 35/2.5 Voigtlander Color Skopar. I have used this lens and can vouch for its capability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin