Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,557   Online: 955

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canonet CLA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, I have to agree with Bill ... having spent the last few years treasure hunting for great deals on cameras and shutters I've finally come to the realization that they're pretty much useless if they're not accurate. No point in using your light meter, figuring out exactly what shutter speed and aperture to use if the shutter doesn't actually work at the set speed - you'll never get the results you're after ... or at best it's a crap shoot, might as well just use a point and shoot.
    My local tech is a bit cheaper than $100 I think, but for classic medium/large format shutters APUG's own Carol Flutot Miller is the one to talk to. Can't say enough good things about her.

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I picked up a QL17 with flash and cases for both, instructions and camera strap, for about $50 US... clean enough to eat of off and in perfect working order. I understand that older machinery needs maintenance, and properly performed, it is well worth the price - however, the value of the original merchendise comes into play before the situation gets to a point of diminishing returns. I suppose it all depends on what value the item represents to the person - I have a 30 year old Zenit SLR that is of great sentimental value, and I know that the money I recently spent getting it working could buy me 10 of them... but I wanted my old camera fixed because it was worth it to me. Financially, it was a stupid move, but to me it was worth it. With the QL17's I found the range of shapes they come in is huge - from real wrecks to real gems - and the prices do not always reflect that (especially on eBay...)

I have heard that the meter on these cameras is at best... well... a helpful suggestion more than anything from people who have a lot of experience with these. My personal impression is ( and I might have just got lucky) that it is quite accurate and fairly sensitive when measured against various meters on my other cameras and those of friends (keeping in mind that meters do seem to have a bit of "personality" built into them even on pretty high end stuff)

My main concern with the Canonet 19 that I have is that the viewfinder is a bit dim - it appears to be an ease fix, but I want to make sure I learn about all the do's and don't's, just to avoid breaking or damaging something through ignorance.

Bottom line is - the Canonet line is a GREAT value, even if you do spend $100 on a good one, and real steal given that better deals come up frequently. I think many people who are not "into" photography end up selling them based on their unimposing appearance (they just don't look like a pro SLR with all the gadgets - therefore most "lay" persons don't realize the value of what they have on their hands!

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Gnashings I agree with you about the value of the Canonets. To show how well built they are, they weigh more than any M-mount rangefinder Leica ever built! They used heavy duty parts in this camera.

The point about service & repair is just what you said. It was worth it to you. Exactly the point! Even if you pick up a clean Canonet & its working perfectly, it will need maintenance at some point if you want to keep it going. The lubricants they used in these things tends to turn to goo. And they're not making any more of these little gems. You can pick up an old car, lawn tractor, or snow blower for a cheap price & run it into the ground. But with a little regular maintenance the life of some of these overbuilt old machines is longer than yours. $100 invested in a CLA for a Canonet comes out to $10 a year if you figure that you probably won't need to do another one for another 10 years. That's cheap in my book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I guess the limited supply is a factor - and I never expected to like the little guys as much as I do!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Yeah, I guess the limited supply is a factor - and I never expected to like the little guys as much as I do!
    Well I got my QL17 off ebay last week and tried it out yesterday (some of the results are in my gallery). It's an amazing little beastie that will take me a little while to get use to using, but she's sweet. I scored the Canolite D to go with it today so have a full set now

Shooter
    35mm
    Congratulations on the purchase, TP. Very nice pictures; I especially like the dog photos. Nice shot getting him on the run!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Biogon Bill
    Congratulations on the purchase, TP. Very nice pictures; I especially like the dog photos. Nice shot getting him on the run!
    Thank you. The one of my dog at the gallop was with my Centon but the others are with the QL17. With practice I'm sure I'll be able to get similar shots with the QL17 though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TPPhotog:

I got the flash with my deal too, and thank God - the Sunpack I own is well... the size of two Canonets

I also picked up a Bell&Howell Canonet 19 - much bigger, heavier, but I do love it - what an honest bit of equipment! I understand it was made in 1961... and I took it out of the box it came in and put two rolls of film through it in the first day. As could be expected, the meter works well enough when its bright out - but its accuracy falls of with the light available - typical of the early photo-cell type meter. Other than that, it proved more capable than I am

The rangefinder image is a little bit dim - is this typical on the 19's? Can it be corrected? I did swab everyting I could reach after removing the top plate with rubbing alcohol, and it did help a bit. Anything else - or is it just an inherent part of this camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    ... The rangefinder image is a little bit dim - is this typical on the 19's? Can it be corrected? I did swab everyting I could reach after removing the top plate with rubbing alcohol, and it did help a bit. Anything else - or is it just an inherent part of this camera?
    This is my first experience of owning a Canonet but the viewfinder on my QL17 is bright. I think the 17 & 19 are the same camera but with a different lens.

APUG is full of experienced & very helpful Canonet users so it may be worth starting a thread specifically asking that question. Sorry I can't be more helpful but give me a few weeks and I'll know mine inside out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    This is my first experience of owning a Canonet but the viewfinder on my QL17 is bright. I think the 17 & 19 are the same camera but with a different lens.

APUG is full of experienced & very helpful Canonet users so it may be worth starting a thread specifically asking that question. Sorry I can't be more helpful but give me a few weeks and I'll know mine inside out
    Yes, I have certainly found (in my short time here) that the well of knowledge on APUG is huge - and the people are very willing to put up even with a noob like me. Great site, great folks!

As far as the 19 & 17 go, well, this one is surely not the same camera! I was under the same imperession - but now i know better! The Bell&Howell by Canon Canonet 19 I got is the size of a classic SLR body! The film advance is on the bottom (the whole camera seems like it was flipped over - the film windes right to left!!!)

If anyone wants to see what I bought, here is a little write up -
    http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/p...s/canonet.html

It is a pleasure to use, and once you get used to its "backwardsness" its actually really convenient - the lefthanded rewind feels like... well... a better idea - you don't have to move your right hand off the shutter!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin