Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,174   Online: 708

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canonet CLA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw those (might be the same site) when I was looking around for information before I bid for mine. Have to admit they look really good fun and having the winder on the under side and left makes a change from what we consider "normal" these days. I'm going to have to be careful or I might land up as a Canonet collector

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Easy to collect, I have two, a QL17, and the oft scorned Canonet 28 which despite being an automatic camera, or manual with just apperature selection is fun to use. The lenses arent to shabby either. I used the q-tip and alcohol method to clean my viewfinder, becareful about cleaning the rangefinder assembly!! this page: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/
    is a good resource for camera maintence questions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, collecting these things is not hard thing to fall into - I didn't mean to buy one, now I have two "poor man's Leica's"...hehehehe

I had the top cover off my 19 - I only ended up cleaning (qtip and rubbing alc) the parts that I could tell would not move when touched. I meant to do more, but got scared - after all, I thought,its better a little dim, than completely useless because some clutz (me!) tried to clean it and knocked it around a bit! It takes some practice, and finding something with a sharp line and colour demarcation is helpful, but other than that, its fairly non-problematic.

And the 19 takes no batteries! Its great. Soooo quiet. After buying these RF's I started referring to what happens when you shoot an SLR as "recoil"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No ... Don't tempt me they are too cute and I could easily convince myself that another version would be fun I also love how quiet they are, I've had a few shots where I only knew for certain I'd taken the shot when I was able to use the manual film advance.

My Canolite D arrived today in mint condition and looks really 70's when all rigged up. Sadly I'm on a late shift today so it might just get tried out at work

Joseph thanks for the link it looks really interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I am just in the process of exposing myslef as a total weirdo... but you mentioned that 70's look - well, I found that these Canonets (especially the 1960's 19!) have put my wife and I in weird moods - we dress up in old-fashioned looking clothes and wander around small towns taking pictures of each other looking retro...

No, I am not kidding...and that may very well be a tad scary - but hey, we had fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Maybe I am just in the process of exposing myslef as a total weirdo... but you mentioned that 70's look - well, I found that these Canonets (especially the 1960's 19!) have put my wife and I in weird moods - we dress up in old-fashioned looking clothes and wander around small towns taking pictures of each other looking retro...

No, I am not kidding...and that may very well be a tad scary - but hey, we had fun!
    Ok as you've owned up I'll admit that I do miss those cheesecloth shirts, they were great in hot weather & 76 was a scorcher over here waiting for my results to go to college

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hehehehhe I won't say what I was wearing in 76 at the risk of dating myself too much

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Hehehehhe I won't say what I was wearing in 76 at the risk of dating myself too much
    LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back to the CLA - Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works (http://www.precisioncameraworks.com) used to work for Canon back in the day - and he'll do QL-17 CLA faster, better and cheaper than Gandy. Maybe not faster...

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone know the base line length & viewfinder magnification for the Canonet? Thanks.

Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin