Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,279   Posts: 1,660,949   Online: 736

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Beware: Fake Contax III on ebay

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Zeiss-Ikon-Co...-/281729161842

Seller has been notified about this, it has been reported to ebay. Beware this is by no means a genuine Contax III.

Shooter
    35mm
    For interest, how do you identify that it's not genuine ? The seller seems to have good feedback, so maybe they are not aware.

Shooter
    35mm
    The top plate is from a Kiev 4 judging by the shape of the meter housing and the fact the film speeds are in GOST. :-)

Ronnie
    Last edited by ronnies; 06-23-2015 at 05:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    For interest, how do you identify that it's not genuine ? The seller seems to have good feedback, so maybe they are not aware.
    I had notified the seller with details about it and he said that he had included the fact that it is a fake in the description. I cannot see it though.
    Here goes his feedback. He has certainly an itch for trouble.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnies View Post
    The top plate is from a Kiev 4 judging by the shape of the meter housing and the fact the film speeds are in GOST. :-)

Ronnie
    Ah, thanks, I'm not familiar with the Contaxes, but I was guessing that it was something to do with their similarities with the Kievs. If I even want to go down the Zeiss Ikon route, I shall clearly have to do some homework first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    I had notified the seller with details about it and he said that he had included the fact that it is a fake in the description. I cannot see it though.
    Here goes his feedback. He has certainly an itch for trouble.
    I can't see anything stated about "fake" anywhere, in fact the detail in the description gives every indication of some knowledge of the cameras and that this one is a rare collectable. His other listings include a lot of Soviet lenses, and that he is a collector himself, so, as you indicate, he's prejudicing 100% feedback if he really is "trying-one-on" with this, rather than it being a genuine error.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 06-23-2015 at 06:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if it is really a fake or perhaps a contax produced by Zeiss East in Jena under Russian control…before the factory was moved to the Soviet Union…

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisaisenbrey View Post
    I wonder if it is really a fake or perhaps a contax produced by Zeiss East in Jena under Russian control…before the factory was moved to the Soviet Union…
    Apparently the "GOST" speed ratings were used by the Soviet Union from 1951 to 1986, so that bit of the camera can't be pre-war ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no way it could be something like that. Those were Kiev-III and where a lot different than that. The Contax-III and the early Kiev-III have a taller rewind/gost/din knob. They also have a taller light meter box. Look here http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?1371027606

At a glance it might look like a Contax-IIIa, but even then the front should had those smaller distinct viewfinder/rangefinder windows. Also there are no Contax-IIIa cameras with GOST writing on the film speed setting knob, plus the shutter speed knob is for sure not from a IIIa.

This is definitely a fake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin