Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,845   Online: 848

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

BEST night photography camera

Im looking for a single purpose camera, night time candids/street photography. It will only be loaded with TMAX 3200, ideally with a 35mm lens. Options in mind (leica is too expensive).

Bessa ? w/Voigtlander 35/1.2
    Nikon FM2N w/Sigma 28/1.8

are there any medium format rangefinders with fast lenses? The advantage being I could push the film more without noticing the grain.

I am a Nikon user at the moment, the FM2N does make some sense, except, that since my digital lenses dont have aperture collars, they wont work on the FM2N anyways... so I have no problem buying into a different system for this one application.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you thinking of hand holding as in no tripod? If that is the case a RF with a wide fast lens is the only way to go. Range finder because mirror slap on an slr is going to require a shutter speed of at least 1/15 and more likely faster. With practice shooting handheld at 1/8 w/o support is very doable slower speeds when leaning against walls poll etc.. A wide angle lens because camera shake is less noticable or likely and DOF is greater at wider apertures. A fast lens because... well thats self evident.

I'd go with the Bessa.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for your reply, yes with regards to Handholding. The options seem large, Im now also researching the

Bessa R2A w/40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic

I currently have a Nikon F65 w/50mm f/1.4, so Im wondering if a rangefinder adn the above lens would give me much improvement in low light (i see to always be fighting to get near to 1/50 shutter to guarantee a sharp shot).

What would be better for me? R2A or R3A?

Finally, does anyone have experience with the Zeiss Ikon? Is this just another rebadged Bessa like the Rollei 35RF? How about the Hexar RF?

One more question, I read in a FAQ that the Bessa's arnt as quiet as Leicas, but then even quieter than Leicas are Rangefinders with Leaf shutters.. who makes these?

Thanks in advance for any comments and the benefit of your experience.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    Thanks for your reply, yes with regards to Handholding. The options seem large, Im now also researching the

Bessa R2A w/40mm f1.4 Nokton Classic

I currently have a Nikon F65 w/50mm f/1.4, so Im wondering if a rangefinder adn the above lens would give me much improvement in low light (i see to always be fighting to get near to 1/50 shutter to guarantee a sharp shot).

What would be better for me? R2A or R3A?

Finally, does anyone have experience with the Zeiss Ikon? Is this just another rebadged Bessa like the Rollei 35RF? How about the Hexar RF?

One more question, I read in a FAQ that the Bessa's arnt as quiet as Leicas, but then even quieter than Leicas are Rangefinders with Leaf shutters.. who makes these?

Thanks in advance for any comments and the benefit of your experience.

Daniel.
    IMHO the ultimate combo is a Leica M (preferably with 0.85 finder or the M3 with its 0.92 finder) and the Noctilux. Nothing beats f1 with a TMax or Delta 3200. I made a few shots like this with this combo last Xmas. M6, Noctilux f1@1/15s, TMAX 3200@1000ASA, the only lighting is one single candle about 1m away.

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmm, I notice your photo doesnt have alot of grain. How did you minimise it? Heres a shot of mine at ISO 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I notice your photo doesnt have alot of grain. How did you minimise it? Heres a shot of mine at ISO 3200.
    Developing method? What developer did you use?

G

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I dont do it myself, however Im pretty sure it was done in Xtol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to consider the Nikon F3 only because I have some experience with the aperature priority mode at night. It also has a +/-2 stop exposure compensation. With the combination of those 2 features, I've done some night photography with available light that must have exposed automatic for almost 30 minutes and the exposures were 'right on'. Damn fine piece of equipment for night photography.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Konica Hexar. The older fixed lens 35mm f2 Leica copy. A bit pricey perhaps but validly so.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to check is whether you are both using the same method to present the image.

In particular, is one a negative scan and the other a print? I find a lot more grain in negative scans on my flatbed (epson) scanner than I get from prints.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin