Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,400   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I blame Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format

I blame Sean

Ok due to all the great things people have said in this forum and the links to other information posted from here on the Canonet QL17 ... I went into my first combat on Ebay this week and I WON!!

As I wouldn't have even known about the little beastie had it not been for people here and as Sean is the daddy of APUG ... maybe I should send him the invoice LOL

Thanks everyone for starting me on my rangefinder addiction if it's anywhere near as good as everyone says it is

Tony

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hope you like it Tony.
    Let us know how you get on with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gareth it will soon get a good testing as I hope to use it for my project on learning disabilities. I've found carrying a SLR in my pocket to catch them off guard isn't very convenient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    As I wouldn't have even known about the little beastie had it not been for people here and as Sean is the daddy of APUG ... maybe I should send him the invoice LOL
    If I sent Sean the invoices for everything I've learned about on APUG, Sean would be a very poor man indeed. I suspect he's happier that I'm the one who's paying for my passion (i.e., my money pit).
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok due to all the great things people have said in this forum and the links to other information posted from here on the Canonet QL17 ... I went into my first combat on Ebay this week and I WON!!

Thanks everyone for starting me on my rangefinder addiction if it's anywhere near as good as everyone says it is

Tony
    Hey Tony,
    These are great little cameras and they do great work. Easy to haul around and quick to use. There are some common 'issues' though...Don't worry much about the built in meter and finding a useable battery; the meters are fussy at best and rarely meter properly. In my own usage, I've found that sticking to 'sunny-16' gives better results than relying on the meter, even when the meter is calibrated.

The shutter speeds can be off unless it has been recently CLA'd. It's an easy fix, though and there are oodles of web-pages devoted to unsticking the shutters. The other common problem is tired light seals. Again, this is an easy fix. There is a chap on eBay by the name of Jon Goodman, he goes by the moniker 'interslice'. He sells light-seal kits and is probably the most honest seller on eBay. He has a lot of advice and documentation on putting new light seals into Canonets.

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If it needs any work Tony ask about for local repair services.
    I know there is (or at least there was) a chap in Glasgow, he doesn't do any auto-focus, digi repairs etc but he does fix most problems on most cameras made up to the late 80's, and he's cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mongo - I was of course jesting ... dry English humour

Kent and Gareth - many thanks for your comments. Happily it was CLA'd as few years ago, has new seals as of 3 months ago and has also been re-clothed in a rather fetching calf leather (don't tell the veggies) ... sounds and looks very nice from the spec and can't wait to play with it

I could do with knowing where there's an online manual for it if anyone knows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mongo - I was of course jesting ... dry English humour
    As was I.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    As was I.
    So where do we send the invoices? ... I know the Church of Rodinal !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can vouch for the ease of unsticking a sticky QL17 shutter (actually the aperture blades in my case). Mine is the non GIII version so I had to take the lens elements off from the front to expose the iris. It just needed a light push on the edge of the blades to open it up fully once and it has been OK for the 2 or 3 months now since I got it. I'm dubious about using lighter fluid with q-tips etc 'cos it just moves the gunk around and I'm sufficiently ham fisted to bend the blades... Anyway, I'm far from an expert but it worked out fine for me.

I use hearing aid batteries with a washer (but you can probably get away without the washer/spacer) and the camera's meter reads about 2/3 of a stop out compared to my Sekonic meter so I increase the ISO setting on the camera by that amount over my normal rating for the film (which by coincidence means I set HP5+ to 400 on the camera). It's worth checking this which ever battery you use.

Manual here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/instructionmanuals.html enter "free" as username and "manuals" as the password when prompted.

Also, I too recommend Interslice. I know you don't need the foam (mine did) but he's an ex-Brit so I thought I'd mention it...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin