Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,349   Online: 858

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zeiss Ikon

Shooter
    35mm
    Earl, keep an eye on www.cameraquest.com. Apparently, Stephen Gandy visited the Cosina factory in Japan last month & will be posting a full report soon - including what he learned about the ZI, I came across a preliminary quote from him that everything about the ZI is new & that no parts except the Copal shutter are shared with Bessas. It will be interesting to read the details.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Biogon Bill
    Earl, keep an eye on www.cameraquest.com. Apparently, Stephen Gandy visited the Cosina factory in Japan last month & will be posting a full report soon - including what he learned about the ZI, I came across a preliminary quote from him that everything about the ZI is new & that no parts except the Copal shutter are shared with Bessas. It will be interesting to read the details.
    I can't wait to see what Stephen Gandy has to say. I love his writing on all of the old classic cameras and lenses...even stuff I'm not interested in is fun to read on his site.

If indeed there are no Bessa parts in the ZI (which contradicts the original reports that I read, but certainly is well within the realm of possibility) then I wonder why Cosina is involved at all. Seems like ZI could have set up their own facilities for a lot less than cutting Cosina in on a slice of the pie. Curiouser and curiouser...

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It costs a great deal to setup your own production line and infrastructure for it. Cosina have shown they can product very high quality products at a reasonable cost. Thats why Zeiss have partnered with them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Biogon Bill
    Bill: I had visited the Cameraquest site just after Stephen returned and read that, though it had slipped my mind. I will watch for the update; thanks for the reminder.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Can you tell me what, exactly, you base these statements on?

As good as Leica? When it comes to build quality, that's an extremely bold proposition, especially considering that nobody has even seen the final production model yet. We know that the basic structure of the camera is based on the Bessa series...but nobody outside of the R&D and production groups yet knows just how much of the camera will be built on Cosina equipment and how much will be built on Zeiss eqiupment. If it was all being built on Zeiss equipment, Cosina wouldn't be needed at all. The fact that they're involved leads me to believe that at least part of the camera is simply a recycled Bessa.

As to Cosina not being able to "copy" the Zeiss equipment...why not? It's just equipment. Do parts of it exist in an alternative dimension that only Zeiss has the keys to? It may be expensive for Cosina to copy the equipment...but my guess is they'll look for a way to make equipment that produces similar results without copying the Zeiss equipment. Give them a year or two and see what they're doing under the Bessa name.
    Mongo, researching this topic has become my hobby this week. LOL (I've got some time on my hands.) I think that Snaggs must be referring to the MTF plotters that are depicted in a recent Shutterbug article. These are not production equipment, but are for quality control testing of lenses & would not be essential to the production pf any future Cosina derivatives of this camera.
    Last edited by Biogon Bill; 04-21-2005 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damned cameraquest.... that Bessa R3 looks yummy!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Lifted from another forum, here's something to add to Mongo's "curiuser & curiouser . . ." The author is Mikiro:

"The latest issues of Japanese camera journals all feature reports of the Zeiss Ikon camera. I pick up some interesting remarks:

The camera shares no parts with Bessa. It is totally new.

The rangefinder is amazingly clear with T* equivalent coating. After you see through it, you feel Leica is now old.

The film advance lever and shutter feel much smoother and quieter thanthose of Bessa but not rival those of Leica M.

The 21 and 25mm Biogons are outstandingly sharp and contrasty. They are undoubtedly top notch.

Zeiss will know that this camera with Zeiss lenses is a threat to them."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin