Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,244   Online: 926

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hi I am a new Rangfinder Fan

I have been shooting film for 5 years first with the EOS system, then FD, Nikkor and now I have entered the world of Rangefinder photography. I came into this world on a bittersweet level as I inherited a Leica M3 two-stroke from my dad who passed on recently. With that camera I got a 50/2 collapsable, a 90/4 collapsible and aftermarket 50/1.4 canon screwmount and I picked up a 35/2.5 Cos. Voightlander to round things off. The camera gets used as that is the way he wanted it. The first photo I took with the camera is my dad sitting with mom at the kitchen table, a shot I treasure. The other rangefinder in my bag is a Contax IIIa black dial with a 50/f2 lens from Kiev. The original Sonnar is MIA. I shoot with mostly Ilford Delta 400/100, sometimes Agfa APX and with colour its Fuji Superia all the way.
    Of the two cameras I find the M3 the easier camera to use, however I find shooting with the Contax IIIa addictive. I plan to carry that camera around a lot. I have a Kiev 3 on the way as present from my brother who loves his Warsaw Pact cameras and his Leica screwmounts. I am toying with another rangefinder, most likely Voightlander Bessa R2a, new Leicas are out of my league.

I still shoot in SLR with a Nikon F, Nikkormat FTn and Canon AE-1 but they don't come out as often.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Welcome Bill, I think you'll have fun here.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That Leica setup is real nice. Now you can think about your father every time you take out the cameras.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks, I do every time I hit the shutter

I think he took pictures of me and my brother with the camera when we were toddlers with it. I only wish Dad were around to see what I am doing with the M3 now.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format

I wonder....

.... why RF are so addictive - I am also a new convert, bought 3 months ago a Bessa R2 with a 35mm lens (OK is not a Leica.... but had some constraints). Now it is nearly the only one going out, especially for B/W. So, why are they so addictive?...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzin
    .... why RF are so addictive - I am also a new convert, bought 3 months ago a Bessa R2 with a 35mm lens (OK is not a Leica.... but had some constraints). Now it is nearly the only one going out, especially for B/W. So, why are they so addictive?...
    Hop on over to: http://www.rangefinderforum.com

And maybe some one there can explain why they are so addictive.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oh Yes Put Gas on the Fire

I do want to use my Nikon F and Nikkormat Ftn from time to time as well. I think Rangefinders harken back to bygone era, they are great for street photography and taking discreet shots. I finished off a roll in my Leica M3 test driving a Voightlander 35/2.5 inside a Second Cup ( a Canadian Competitor to Starbucks) in Toronto's Queen St West Neighbourhood west of Bathurst St. There is a lot of shooting opportunities in this part of the city. I guess I will be using the Nikons for landscape/architecture work.

Bill
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill: Welcome here, and I second the notion of frequenting rangefinderforum.com; it's a happy place, too. Gene Wilburn (GeneW) is on both of these forums, and lives in Port Credit and is an RF fan; I think you two would have a good time together as he frequents Second Cup and Starbucks on his outings.

I was just on Queen Street W. on Saturday (I had an Olympus SP with me,) spending a day with my daughter (who lives in Stratford) and son (who is in 3rd year at U of T and lives in the Dupont/Landsdowne area), and even though it rained all day, we had a great time, especially poking around Kensington Market. Stopped in at Albermarle books and bought a book of Anishnaabe stories... it was a pleasant day.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your father.

You'll find lots of us here who are rangefinder junkies. I have a locker full of Yashicas and former Soviet Union cameras, as well as a Canon Canonet that gets the most use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the club... The M3 is all you'll need, unless you want to use WA lenses too frequently... I have mine (a single stroke) since 2000, used it quite a few times, although the size of the negative frustrates me (I get this strange feeling when I print the 35mil negs, like if I had to blow up pictures from post stamps). If I wasn't addicted to my Rolleiflex TLR, I am sure that I would buy a Mamiya RF in order to have the middle format advantage AND the rangefinder ease of use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin