Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,227   Online: 974

Thread: Big Dilemma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Big Dilemma

I came to the world of Rangefinder photography through an inheritance of equipment, my Leica M3 is a user but also has sentimental value that would cause me to freak if it got seriously damaged. That is the downside of having equipment that is also a family heirloom. I am starting a fund/war-chest for a second M-bayonet body I can take out into the wilds and not worry so much. So should it be a Voightlander Bessa R2a or an old Leica M body 2/3/4?
    This purchase is not going to be made in the near term so I have time to weigh the pros and cons of both cameras. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't own one anymore , but I always loved the M4...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I don't own any of the equipment that you're interested in, I have purchased backups for other equipment over the years. The best rule I've come up with is to have the back-up be as near to the original as possible. If you're happy and comfortable with the M3, then get another M3. That way there's no learning curve. I wanted a backup for my Nikon FE-2, and picked up a Nikon FE. Although they're very similar, the dissimilarities would cause me problems at the worst possible times...those moments when there's no time to think, just to react.

If, on the other hand, you're trying to expand your selection of cameras, that's the time I'd recommend looking at other alternatives. (By reputation only, it seems you can't go wrong with any of the cameras you've mentioned.)
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was one line of thinking, dad's camera was 2 stroke, and if I were to get another M3 it would be a single stroke. What I love about the older leicas is they are not battery dependant which sort of scares me a bit with the VC Bessa R2a, I had my Canon AE1 crap out on me when the battery died. In the end I can find an M3 here in the GTA for about $1000 Cdn. So it looks like I answered my question.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, Bill, I would agree that if you plan to continue to use your heirloom M3, a close match would be a good idea. If, however, you're thinking of keeping it safely stored at home, other options (and the operational differences) would be less of an issue. In that case, you might consider the greater versatility of something like an M6TTL for not much more than you'll pay for an M3 in good condition. (Yes, there's a battery for the meter, but they last a long time, and a spare is easy to carry.)
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin