Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,514   Online: 863

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi frank

its nice to see you here

this place is really nice -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, while I own three digicams, two scanners, and three printers (and teach a digi workshop) I'll keep my trap shut about that aspect...

Can we talk politics as it relates to photography? I saw a political forum but it looks like they port us scalliwags off to another forum with non-photographers.

What I did like about PN was the Europeans and Asians (and Oceanians, Sean, thank you) weighing in. They were mostly wrong about stuff mind you, but it is nice to hear it from the Frog's mouth so to speak...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    OK, while I own three digicams, two scanners, and three printers (and teach a digi workshop) I'll keep my trap shut about that aspect...

Can we talk politics as it relates to photography? I saw a political forum but it looks like they port us scalliwags off to another forum with non-photographers.

What I did like about PN was the Europeans and Asians (and Oceanians, Sean, thank you) weighing in. They were mostly wrong about stuff mind you, but it is nice to hear it from the Frog's mouth so to speak...
    What happened here was not pretty when politics reared its head. Yes it is nice to talk about such things, but there is always those who disagree to the point they become a bit degrading. To keep the frustration (not being able to see body language, and if some one is smirking when they post a comment) it was just deemed that politics and general religous discussions unless impacting photography directly were to be talked about on a political website. It just keeps the denizens here from becoming something they normally are not.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm... I keep hearing about these anti-digital rants, but in 6 months of reading this forum, I can't actually remember reading one. Odd that...

I do recall a number of people getting fed up to the back teeth when someone insists on posting digitally captured images or discussing digital imaging techniques on a forum dedicated to traditional techniques and methods, but I can't actually remember anyone engaging in an actual anti-digital rant. Perhaps one of the people complaining of such rants can point me to one?

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think that Digital Imaging and Photography are two very different Media (lots of people on this Forum will agree with me I guess). It's just like what happened in the 1850's with Engraving and Photography. In the beginning, the new technique was considered equivalent to the old one and people thought that the old would be "replaced" by the new. But after a while (50 years, that is), they understood that Engraving will remain present as an artistic medium and Photography will just replace it in the "commercial" part of the job. I guess that Digital Imaging will be completely separated from Film Photography and work its way to the apllied image making market while Photography will be used by artists and amateurs.

That being said, it is understandable that if this Forum is dedicated to Photography, it's logical that the members won't accept talk about Digital Imaging, Painting, Sculpture etc. Since the "displacement" of Photography by DI is still on its way, this causes losses to the commercial part of it (companies close down, products are discontinued) and creates a negative attitude towards Digital imaging (because we hold it responsible for the losses). This explains why sometimes Photography lovers might be hostile to people who seem to be Digital fans.

I am a proffesional photographer and use a scanner and computer when I need to, but I won't talk about it on this forum. I appreciate the fact that the other members do the same...

As for political talk, I would rather see it on a specialized APUG sub-Forum. This way, I'll read it only if I'm in the right mood...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "I think that Digital Imaging and Photography are two very different Media "

I disagree (suprise surprise!).
    I'd say there is film photography and digital photography, plus the film/digital, digital/film cross overs.
    I do not understnd why anybody wants to try and say that digital cannot be photography.

"That being said, it is understandable that if this Forum is dedicated to Photography"

It's dedicated to film photography. If it was simply dedicated to photography it would be wide open to all digital subjects, and indeed would just trun into another digital photo site with a small film section, that would not be a good idea.
    However as I've pointed out before, and I'm not going to rant about it again, our future now to some extent depends on digital. Telling young snappers (who are now growing up with digital) who express an interest in film that they are now about to take their first photograph will not impress, or help the future of film.

Flotsam,

"This is brought up every week or two here.
    Yes, it has actually occurrred to the folks who post in the the galleries here that they are posting digital images. The site's FAQ should clear up any confusion, although it never seems to."

Sorry Flotsam but I've got a bad habit, just like I never read car or motorcycle manuals, I never read the FAQ, rules etc.. on web sites. I strangely however always read camera manuals.
    I probably should read the FAQ relating to posting images, but I might start giggling again, and worse could start a controversial thread on it that could have Jorge blowing fuses once more.

"when the topic of opening APUG to digital discussions and images is mentioned ?"

No. I'm happy with digital being kept in the lounge area. Oh shit I've just noticed this is the Rangefinder forum, and I think it was myself this time (I think for the first time) that mentioned the digital word first. I apologise, though in my defense I would say that this thread belongs in the lounge, but then that's what I should have posted.

Sorry.

Damn! I missed the thread over on PN...

A Colt Python - overly heavy but precise and reliable...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    I probably should read the FAQ relating to posting images, but I might start giggling again,
    If you are that easily amused, you should definitely stay away from the car and motorcycle manuals. They're a laugh riot compared to the FAQ.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    A pity I didn't find it last year. So, do people have fun here?
    Yes it is a pity. For the most part people do have fun. I, personally, have made some friends and learned a ton. It is often a great place to go when you are forced to sit in front of a monitor.
    Last edited by mrcallow; 05-03-2005 at 06:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Ok Sean, change the site! It irks Gareth and lord knows we should all bend to accomodate him and disregard the purpose you set this site for to begin with.

Let it go Gareth, the horse is dog food by now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin