Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,003   Online: 1033

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Ok Sean, change the site! It irks Gareth and lord knows we should all bend to accomodate him and disregard the purpose you set this site for to begin with."

Excuse me? Change the site? When did I request that, and why would I.

Mark, try reading what I have written, not what you think I have written.

"Let it go Gareth, the horse is dog food by now."

It's the first time I've brought it up. Sorry.

Flotsam,

"If you are that easily amused, you should definitely stay away from the car and motorcycle manuals."

Yup that's probably why I avoid em.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Quote:
    Originally Posted by gareth harper

"Let it go Gareth, the horse is dog food by now."

It's the first time I've brought it up. Sorry.

Gareth do you read your own posts? I checked many are about digital that only the dim would think are anything less than thinly veiled trolls."

Not only do I read em, well I write em!
    If I have brought up digital (when it was not being discussed) anywhere else do let me know. Show me.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This horse is not only dead, but it's bones and hooves have been boiled down to make gelatin for black-and-white film. Please.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou
    I think that Digital Imaging and Photography are two very different Media (lots of people on this Forum will agree with me I guess). It's just like what happened in the 1850's with Engraving and Photography. In the beginning, the new technique was considered equivalent to the old one and people thought that the old would be "replaced" by the new. But after a while (50 years, that is), ...
    I wonder who thought engraving and photography were 'equivalent'? To be sure, photography accomplished the same goal as engraving in the context of newspaper reporting. That is, the illustration of events described in new stories.

Where the analogy strays from the present situation is the claim of digital technology to be 'just like photography' or 'just as good as' film. It insists on emulating asa numbers rather than coming up with its own terminology. Some of these silly cameras even have little speakers to 'simulate' the sound of mirror flop and shutter activation.

Whereas photography never claimed to be a better type of engraving, digital imaging (if it were a sentient being) doesn't have the self-confidence to stay off of the coat tails of 150 years of photographic history. In all fairness, photography did try to ride on the coat tails of painting for a while in the early 20th century. There was 'pictoral' photography and 'straight' photography. thank god straight photography won the day. the soft focus, low contrast, fuzzy pictoral photography was horrid.

I have nothing against DI, I'd just rather the industry were bold enough to proclaim the technology as 'all new and different from what has been done before'. Let it stand on its own two legs. If it did that then maybe I would be less often subjected to the condescending comments of those who've 'gone digital'.

And that's another thing... why is it that when I go to a camera store to buy chemicals or MF film, the fools behind the counter insist on launching into another anti-film scree. They try to convince me to 'go digital' and are astounded when I don't see their point of view.

Let us think about this for a moment. DI has been around for several years now right? As an avid amateur photographer, I've been aware of it for a long time and know the advantages/disadvantages of it by now. If I'm still shooting film, odds are that I've already made a decision and chosen not to pursue DI.

Do the sales clerks think they have new information that I don't have? Do they think they have a new undenyable argument? Do they think I've had my head in the sand for 5 years? Do they think I've been on the fence about digital for years and they're going to be the clever clerk to finally get me to see the light?

Any sales clerks out there reading this and thinking "hmmm that description fits me!" Do me a favor. Just sell me my chemicals and film and save the comments for the novice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for an interesting thread Frank - you know how to choose an appropriate title, that's for sure!

I think it's off to the bad house for this thread before too long.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha, so will this thread get killed? I hope not. The horse shouldn't die in vain.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, the thread won't be killed, but it is likely to be shifted to the "Digital vs Analog" forum, where is is effectively quarantined.

And the horse died long ago. It's now just piles of brown stuff on the back lawn.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Gim

Frank, welcome

Its a good site 98% of the time, until......
    Just sit back and have a laugh like I do. Cheap entertainment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    What I did like about PN was the Europeans and Asians (and Oceanians, Sean, thank you) weighing in. They were mostly wrong about stuff mind you, but it is nice to hear it from the Frog's mouth so to speak...
    Hey Frank, Croak Croak, and welcome to APUG.

Hope you enjoy your time here. It aint hard to avoid the landmines. But maybe I'm wrong

Regards
    Glenn
    (From Asia Pacific)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin