Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,456   Online: 999

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

SMOKING LEICA (GUN)

Try BALISTOL, this eucalyptus based oil invented in 1904 for the German army is terrific for virtually everything. It works very well for preserving and cleaning the Leica's vulcanite.
    I use it for the upkeep of my camera's (Leica M5, Linhof & Hasselblad), the dashboard of my Volvo, the chain of my bicycle, the little wounds on my hands, the leather of my camera case and shoes and, last but not least, to protect me against the sun and cold hands.
    See www.balistol.co.uk (I do not know the U.S. address).
    It is good for gear, man and animal.
    Trust it!
    Philippe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    and less filling!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Frank,
    Well, I'm actually waiting on a FED 5V which is on its way from the Ukraine...I can't afford a Leica!!!
    Anyhoo, one of the common 'problems' with these FSU cameras and their never-ready cases is that they smell like dead animals...One recommendation is to first clean the leather with saddlesoap and then to place the camera or the case in a ziplock with balled up newspaper. Change the newspaper once a day for a couple of weeks. Apparently this works.

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's from the urine they use to tan the leather. I think the Keiv factory recycles everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5
    Try BALISTOL, this eucalyptus based oil invented in 1904 for the German army is terrific for virtually everything. It works very well for preserving and cleaning the Leica's vulcanite.
    I use it for the upkeep of my camera's (Leica M5, Linhof & Hasselblad), the dashboard of my Volvo, the chain of my bicycle, the little wounds on my hands, the leather of my camera case and shoes and, last but not least, to protect me against the sun and cold hands.
    See www.balistol.co.uk (I do not know the U.S. address).
    It is good for gear, man and animal.
    Trust it!
    Philippe
    http://www.ballistol.co.uk/ (two "L"s...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bob F., but I am so used to write with light that, by moments, I forget the (English) words...
    Philippe (Flanders Fields)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    That's from the urine they use to tan the leather. I think the Keiv factory recycles everything.
    Ha! That's what I'd heard; I'll let you know how bad it is in about 2 weeks

That said, I figured that if newspaper could take the urine smell out of a FED case, why wouldn't it work for a smoky Leica

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a used SR-7 that smelled strongly of smoke also. I had it CLA'd but the odor was still there. But after a couple of weeks of sitting out on a shelf in the house and a couple of trips outside the smell has gone.

Try putting in a closed box also containing an open box of baking powder "Arm and Hammer" stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin