Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 735

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny thing that...I started out with a Canonet and really liked it; the whole RF vibe works really well for some things (and poorly for others). If I could justify the purchase, I'd probably go out and get a Bessa R2A or R3A. I still really like what SLRs do, so I can't see selling my Minolta kit. For me, the reason for buying a Russian (Ukranian) rangefinder is to see if I really like using a rangefinder without jumping right to a Bessa or a Leica.

And no, it's never either too early or too late for a mid-life crisis

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a couple of Canonets off eBay. They certainly are cheap, and I had Bob Atkins at Precision Camera Works in Chicago CLA one for $50, which is well worth it. Nice cameras. I have some old mercury cells also bought off the bay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Central Camera in Chicago had half a dozen or so, neatly lined up, in a case last fall before i moved away. I was considering trading in an Olympus XA for something that I could screw filters into.

Get their contact info from the web and give them a call. They're good guys, with a pretty decent selection of manual equipment. (as usual, no financial interest in them, but did do business over the years)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't forget to ask about. Most people will have stashed em away and long since forgotten about them.
    All the talk of Canonets here reminded me of the little camera my Dad had when I was a wee boy.
    So today I asked him about it (from the pictures I have seen I was sure it was a Canonet), he couldn't remember anything about it. After jogging his memory a wee bit, he went 'Oh that old thing' A few minutes later, 'here, it's yours'.
    I'll need to find a battery, and I've no idea if it'll work, but I should be able to get it going again.
    My first rangefinder.

Max Power, very sorry to hear about the break into your house. If there is one thing I hate it's theft. Do make sure you get the house checked out for potential simple security improvements. It's particulary import if you have just been broken into, as thieves have a nasty habit of coming back to houses they know they can get into. It does appear that you have thieves with taste in your area! I thought they would have passed the Canonet by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Gareth, we believe that the thieves tripped the security system at the moment they broke in...They knew that they didn't have much time and just grabbed what they could on their way out the door...My Canonet happened to be sitting on the sideboard in the dining room.
    Most people wouldn't have a clue how to use a Canonet, let alone a manual rangefinder, and there's only one camera shop in town which will take used equipment. I will wait another week and then go and visit to see if they have any recently acquired Canonets in stock...

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Most people wouldn't have a clue how to use a Canonet, let alone a manual rangefinder, and there's only one camera shop in town which will take used equipment.[/COLOR]

Now you wouldn't happen to know the serial number of your Canonet? Does it have any distingishing marks. What's the chap in the camera shop like? I'd have a word with him just in case someone walks in with a certain Canonet, you never know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Most people wouldn't have a clue how to use a Canonet, let alone a manual rangefinder, and there's only one camera shop in town which will take used equipment.[/COLOR]

Now you wouldn't happen to know the serial number of your Canonet? Does it have any distingishing marks. What's the chap in the camera shop like? I'd have a word with him just in case someone walks in with a certain Canonet, you never know.
    Bingo!!!
    It does have distinguishing marks and I do have the SN...The shop in question takes down the seller's personal information specifically because they must legally do so in case of police queries.

Kent

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Bingo!!!
    It does have distinguishing marks and I do have the SN...The shop in question takes down the seller's personal information specifically because they must legally do so in case of police queries.

Kent
    Now a smart thief never off loads locally. But most house break ins are by junkies, well they are here in the UK, and they ain't exactly got their brains fully engaged. Now the guy in the camera shop may well turn this dude away/ or not pay any real attention to him, and the thief is not that likely to give any real personal info. That's why it would be a good idea to talk to the guys/girls in the shop first. So they will take it in (tell em you'll give em the trade in price) and have a good look at the dude.
    Good luck with getting your camera back and catching the theif. And don't forget the secondhand camera stores in the next town down the road. I'm sure most camera shops hate thiefs as much as the rest of us.

Sadly your theif may just sling it in a bin, or off load it some other way.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Keh.com

I got my latest canonet from keh.com. I recommend them, have also bought LF and other 35mm equipment from them. Their rating system is fair, probably higher than would pay on ebay.

Also recommend hiding places in walls or furniture for camera equipment, or gun safes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The two camera stores for which I worked (in different states) back in the 70's and 80's always took down info on two forms of ID, including a driver's license or other state issued ID on any used equipment we took in. That way we could always track back responsibility for stolen goods. I'm not sure if it was law at the time, but any reputable dealer seemed to do this. I was surprized at the number of people who suddenly "decided to keep" their cameras after learning this. We tried to get car license plates on people who did this in a very suspicious manner. and shared that info with other local dealers and repair shops.

When I worked in Minneapolis, I heard that cameras were often stolen "to order" for people in Chicago who placed "orders" with a thief who would go to other cities in the region and steal cameras. I knew one person in Minneapolis who had her Leica CL stolen and it turned up in the hands of someone she knew in Chicago in a very short time.

BTW, KEH is sending people all over the country purchasing used camera equipment in bulk from camera stores. I found this out at the local "pro" shop
    when I asked about used equipment. KEH bought everything used they had for about $5000 a couple of weeks before I was there. That included three Nikon F5's.

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin