Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,912   Online: 798

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where's the best place to buy a good Canonet?

So here's the deal...This morning some thieves (probably teenagers) broke into the house when my wife and I were at work. The security system scared them off, but not before they made off with a couple of things including a digicam (big whoopty) and my beloved Canonet QL17 GIII. They didn't find my darkroom thank goodness. The insurance company may very well insist that I replace it with the same thing, unless I can make them understand that Canonets haven't been made for the last 30 years.
    I paid $100 USD for it about a year ago, from a private seller on PN with proof of a fresh CLA and an adjusted light-meter.

Does anyone know of a specific place, other than eBay, which sells them in excellent condition just in case I must buy another one?

Thanks,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    I paid $100 USD for it about a year ago, from a private seller on PN with proof of a fresh CLA and an adjusted light-meter.
    The couple of places I used to know have gone out of business--driven out by eBay.

$100 for a Canonet with CLA and adjusted light meter sounds like a great deal. It would be hard to find another to replace it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Camera Quest lists them for $175. http://www.cameraquest.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The insurance company will probably not cover it because they are looking at 'new' replacement value...Uh yeah, a Canonet.

It's OK though...I already bought a 'streetwalker' red FED 5 to replace it...Ah, the infamous slide into FSU rangefinders...

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A new replacement would be pretty high when you consider it having a 1.7 lens and high quality optics and construction. I used to be an insurance agent and if it is the same in Canada as in the US, they should cover it for its collectible value or its new replacement which ever was greater. On our policies there was no limit to cameras for personal use and no issue with getting something like this covered, even if it seems high compared to a new point and shoot. I am confident that we would have gladly paid the $175 and I hope that your company will as well.

Good luck,

Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Max. I'd try to keep an eye on PN and rangefinderforum.com classifieds for awhile. I'm sure you'll find something if you are patient. No matter your taste in Russian RFs, you gotta have a Canonet.

I've tried to post mine for sale (too much underused stuff). I just can't do it. A strangely powerful affinity for such simple little camera. I don't understand it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate to say it - but I just got two mint Canonets a Bell & Howell 19 (you have to have one!) and a QL17 GIII... from ... eBay. I looked around, but most camera stores in the area... well, they are not doing themselves any favors. In my area they have this attitude of being just too bothered with film guys who ask two many questions and fail to believe that forking over money for the newest, digital-est thinnamagic will solve all their problems. Frankly, I am a consumer and I am about to spend my money - and I don't ask for wine and crackers, but I don't like feeling like I am about to handover my money to someone who thinks I am nuissance. Hence my eBay experience. There is a great deal of choice (caveat emptor, of course...), but the educated buyer gets a good deal for a fair price. Frankly, as much as a lot of people dislike it (eBay), its mainly because it...well... represents what people are willing to pay on a open market. And in my humble economy-101 opinion, that is as close to true market value as you can get - a large number of merchendise offered to a large buying public.
    End result - two RF's, cases, straps and all, one Canonlite D flash (good cond) for a total expenditure of $75 US between the two of them. These are, of curse, my humble, personal findings. I am sure I will get "flamed" for them... but mainly by people who think their stuff is worth a lot more than it really easy, mainly because its theirs...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    ..... I am sure I will get "flamed" for them... but mainly by people who think their stuff is worth a lot more than it really easy, mainly because its theirs...
    I'm with you 100% on this one so don't feel alone. The days of quality equipment being an investment have long gone as the market has openned up. Trade-in value for mint gear is only 25-30% of the price you paid for it and that's if you get a good deal. If the gear is wanted then Ebay certainly gives the seller a better price than they would have got at a trade-in and the buyer a price which doesn't have all the overheads that a store has. Just keep your head when bidding and research what something iss really worth to you before bidding.

I'll soon be looking to add the next Canonet to my collection and Ebay will be where I look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I'll soon be looking to add the next Canonet to my collection and Ebay will be where I look.
    I dunno Tony, but I've spotted you around the RF Forum lately...It's that lot that got me wanting a FED. I'm willing to wager you a pint that if you hang out there too long, you too will succumb to the charms of FSU RFs

Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    I dunno Tony, but I've spotted you around the RF Forum lately...It's that lot that got me wanting a FED. I'm willing to wager you a pint that if you hang out there too long, you too will succumb to the charms of FSU RFs

Kent
    Kent it's a fair cop gov'nor ... it's was spotting a Zorki in the local rag and then asking about them here that got me interested in RFs in the first place

Alas I missed that one but being in slow motion like I am and being indecisive I then found myself reading threads here about the Canonets which I did actually get around to buying LOL

But you do have me there as I can easily see my collection of Canonets growing and most probably picking up the odd FSU RFs along the way. I've dcided that I am going to sell my F100 and move over to RFs. Is it too late for a mid-life crisis I wonder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin