Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,888   Online: 1141

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need Feedback on CV 50/2.5 Skoper

I am toying of purchasing this lens for my Leica M3, the concept of 7 elements is intriuging. I would like to hear other photographers experience with this lens. I tend to shoot street, landscape, people, architecture other words the stuff of life. I already own a CV 35/2.5 and I am happy with it. Sure beats dropping money on Leica glass which is out of my budget range at the moment.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill,

I don't own, nor have I ever used the 50mm f:2.5 Skopar, but I've read a number of reports around the web and on the CVUG list (CV user's group, private, by subscription) in trying to decide whether to put it on my list of things to get. You see reports across the spectrum on this lens, and a number of comments that it lacks the sharpness or contrast of the other CV lenses. It doesn't get the universal praise of the 35 f:2.5 you already have. As always, it's hard to evaluate the judgements of people you don't know. Do a Google search and see what you come up with. Some people really like it, some are pretty disappointed. The other CV 50mm lenses get better reports on average, but of course they're larger and more expensive. The 50mm CV Heliar gets great reports, but was only sold in a limited edition as a set with a body, so you're unlikely to see one floating around cheap and alone.

Wish I had something more useful, but I saw that no one with more info had responded yet, and thought you might want something rather than nothing.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Bill, I agree with Lee. Talk to people who are actually using the lens & look at photos they have posted. There are a number of such on Rangefinder Forum. I have actually heard many nice reports on this lens.

What I can say from personal use is that its build quality is superb. It is one of the second generation of Voigtlander lenses, all of which share the same excellent build quality. I own the CV 28/3.5 & the Rollei 40 Sonnar, both of which are built off this same lens barrel, & both are top notch.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information. I think I am going to sit tight for now and do some more research.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin