Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,448   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Leon, for most shooting, pre-set the shutter speed dial & just worry about aperture. You may have to play with it a little bit in low light shooting, but if you do this before you begin shooting, you'll have a goodidea of where you need to be. But if you're hooked on AE & 40 mm focal length, then go for the R3A.

I have seen the Rollei 35 Rf used with a year still left on the warranty for $450 USD & you may be able to get it cheaper. Combined with the 40 Nokton, this is still cheaper than the deal at Robert White. But I must add that the Rollei Sonnar is a superb lens & with today's fast films, it can handle many low light situations.

The 40 Sonnar is a legendary lens, designed by Carl Zeiss & built by Rollei in Germany under license from Carl Zeiss. The barrel is built by Cosina on contract from Rollei, but all assembly of lens elements in the barrel & quality control is done at the Rollei factory. It also uses the renowned Rollei HFT coating, which is the same as the famous Zeiss T* coating. The Cosina barrel is a brass barrel & is from the second generation of Cosina RF lenses, which are a step up from first generation build quality, which is to say excellent. The major upgrade here from a Cosina lens is the coating - absolutely no flare with this lens - & high standard of quality control that Zeiss demands of all its licensees. Of course there is also the superb Sonnar design from Zeiss.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Biogon Bill
    Leon, for most shooting, pre-set the shutter speed dial & just worry about aperture. You may have to play with it a little bit in low light shooting, but if you do this before you begin shooting, you'll have a goodidea of where you need to be. But if you're hooked on AE & 40 mm focal length, then go for the R3A.
    being that my picture taking teeth were cut in landscape and tripod type work, I always think of DOF before I worry about shutter speeds - that's what comes naturally to me I'm afraid I find it very difficult to think the other way around.

I want to buy new as I have had my fingers burned with used stuff too many times now! I cant find any UK sellers that beat the robert white prices sadly

Do you use/ have you used one of the Rollei 35rf Bill?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I have used the 35 RF for over a year. I have the 40 Sonnar as my primary lens. Because I don't use portrait length all that often, I opted for the CV 75/2.5 as my longer lens rather than the more expensive Rollei 80/2.8 Planar. I love the compact size of the CV 75 Heliar & it is very sharp. Because it is a longish 75 (Pop Photo measured it at 77 mm.), it works very well with the 80 mm frame lines. Pop Photo also found it's maximum aperture to be not quite f/2.5 but actually f/2.7. When I look at its lens design on the Cosina website, it looks to me to be a copy of a Zeiss Sonnar, so it could just as easily be called an 80/2.8 Sonnar, which is probably what it would have been if it were made by Zeiss or Rollei.

Cheers,
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    bill - thanks mate, that has all been very helpfull. I'll let you know which way I go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Best of luck with your decision, Leon. There are a lot of good choices out there. I'm looking forward to hearing your decision.

Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I quite fancy a rangefinder myself.
    In the short term my next camera (other than just having replaced my dead EOS33) will have to be a d****l SLR, but in the longer term I would love to bag a reasonable priced rangefinder, with reasonable TTL metering and I'd be interested in something like a 24mm and 35mm lens set with appropriate viewfinders. I don't fancy the type of finder that mounts on the top plate by the way.
    The voightlanders look very nice, are they available with something like a 21-24mm and 35-40mm ish interchangeable finders? Leicas are way out of my price range, plus the snob value turns me right off (though really I should pay no such attention to such matters).
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I get very confused on the issue of rangefinders. Never used one, but I really like the idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gareth - go to www.robertwhite.co.uk and you'll see the whole current cosina voigtlander range. the widest incamera finder is teh 35mm frame on the bessa r2a but you can get supplementary hot shoe finders for all the wider lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gareth,

Actually, the wider CV lenses all come with auxiliary hot shoe finders included in the price, with the presumption that no camera comes standard with a wide enough built in finder.

Also, don't let the people you term Leica snobs put you off of good equipment if you can afford it and like it. People who actually put film in their Leicas tend to be put off by collectors who run the prices up. But don't blame the hardware for snobishness, that's a cult of humans. The prices on used Leica RF gear seem to be dropping since the recent introduction of new Leica mount bodies from other manufacturers. Tape the body or obscure the nameplate like a lot of shooters do if it makes you more comfortable.

I shoot Leica and other brand compatible RF equipment based on what suits my pocketbook and shooting needs.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys,

I'm not that keen on the idea of hot shoe finders, but then maybe I'd have to try it to see, it might not be that bad. One worry would be about the vunerability of the finder. And how worried I'd be about that might depend on the cost of replacing them.

I agree with you Lee, it does put me off, though I know at the same time I'm being a bit silly. Anyway I don't need to worry as I simply can't afford a Leica at the moment, but as you say prices are slipping.

Meanwhile I have come accross A Canon QL17 G3. It may need a little work to get it going again, but if I can get it going it should give me a taste of rangefinder shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't overlook picking up a Hexar AF for about the same money. Great lens and build quality, easy to use, and in some ways better than a Leica (or at least a nice compliment.) I am actually considering getting a second one.

I had a M6 and Summilux, which I do miss as they were lovely in the hand, but when I think about the kinds of photos I would use it for - quick, stealthy, low light - the Hexar is the more practical and probably more successful tool. As much as I like the idea of using a RF for focusing, it is slower than AF and sometimes more difficult to use.

The old Canon are great too, especially if you are lucky enough to find a good working model or get it CLA'd. The old mercury cells are still on eBay - I think buying the original batteries makes more sense than mucking around with Weins or adjusting the meter (not!?).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin