Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,137   Online: 974

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule of thumb?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Voigtlander Superb TLR--that's another thumb camera. It's kind of an all-thumbs camera. Left fingers support the camera, left thumb cocks the shutter and in a separate operation advances the film. Right index finger focuses, right thumb on the trigger. Aperture and shutter speeds are thumb+index finger operations.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I hate to answer digital questions.

Images
    Good Morning,

I know this is veering slightly away from the original direction of the thread, but a related item occurs to me.

Back in the '60's I bought my first "good" camera, a Miranda SLR and have since acquired other Miranda bodies from time to time. Those cameras have a shutter release on the FRONT of the body instead of the top as do most 35mm cameras. Tripping the shutter, regardless of which digit is used, is thus a matter of squeezing rather than punching. This, to me, has the great virtue of being a much steadier method and a more natural way of doing the job. Does anyone know why the front-button approach has never become a common one??? Incidentally, I recall that one other camera (Beseler Topcon, I think) was somewhat similar to the Miranda, with a front-mounted shutter button which angled at about 30 or 45 degrees to the body.) Wonder why almost every manufacturer, at least in 35mm, sticks with the punch-the-button-down approach?

Konical

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I hate to answer digital questions.
    Ouch! Claire
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh....I forgot to mention that I also use my thumb when playing funky bass lines

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Hmmm... Never occurred to me!

Index finger, right hand on every beastie I currently own no matter the orientation.

Thumb on the cable release, does that count?!
    Same here. Index finger on camera body, thumb when using cable release (electronic or manual).
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right index finger (mostly due to my 35mm upbringing) when handheld.

Cable release off the tripod. I've even gone to a cable release when hand holding my 124G, because the shutter release button is a bit clumsy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ergonomic? Grip

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I'm usually an index finger person, unless I'm using the Technika with the grip that has a thumb release--
    David:

Sort of off topic, but...

My Tech IV has the 'ergonomic' grip on it. In the past most of my 4x5's have been Speed Graphics with just a side handle, so that's what I'm used to. I've noticed that while the Linhof grip is something nice to hold onto I find that because of how far out I'm holding it (the grip is about 3" further out than the side of the camera) that it tends to act as a lever, and make an already heavy camera feel even heavier! I rarely use a cable release in the grip, instead I connect it to the bed of the camera next to the focusing knob, so I just bought a used standard hand strap for my IV, and while I'm waiting for it to arrive, I've removed the grip, and attached a leather strap in much the same way as the Linhof hand strap is going to mount, and right away the camera feels much lighter, and seems easier to handle.

Have you ever used your Tech handheld without the ergo grip? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The leather strap does make the Technika more compact, but I've got the grip angled so that I can rest my elbow on the side of my body, and that works for me. I know some people just never get along with the grip.

Sometimes I use the cable release on the bed, particularly if I'm using flash. Then I've got the flash on a Norman L-grip and I remove the ergo grip.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Have you ever used your Tech handheld without the ergo grip? If so, what are your thoughts on it?
    Look at my avatar...

That's a 5x7" Technika: Left hand on strap, right hand under the bed while fiddling the focus knob. Problem is finding a third hand for the dark slide, and a fourth for the cable release!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin