Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,871   Online: 1112

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Well...it may be wise to qualify comments as such when they are also long-standing ethnic slurs in other socieities.

Though I guess it is unreasonable to expect others to be aware of what is or isn't a slur in another society. So...forget about it, I suppose.

anyway.
    allan

Sorry Kaiyen, I'd no idea it's an ethnic slur in other societies.
    It refers to the Japanese imports into the UK during the 60's and 70's, in particular their cars and motorcycles. While the term continued to be used by some through the 80's, most people had long since stopped laughing at Japanese manufacturing, and indeed everybody was trying to work out how their stuff had become so darn good.

Today like most folks I've loads of Japanese stuff including my beloved Yamaha Fazer 1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nowadays we call those 'rice burners'.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gareth,

Thinking more about it, I realize that I was overly sensitive. I was going to delete my posts but figured that would make it confusing. I apologize for being so nitpicky - it's not like I couldn't tell you were on the other side of the pond.

later,
    allan
    Last edited by kaiyen; 06-01-2005 at 05:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiyen
    Gareth,

Think more about it, I was overly sensitive. I was going to delete my posts but figured that would make it confusing. I apologize for being so nitpicky - it's not like I couldn't tell you were on the other side of the pond.

later,
    allan
    No worries,but I thought you might want to know it's general context in the UK. That's how I understand the term anyway. I'm aware of racist terms in the UK towards Japan and it's people, but as far as I'm aware 'Jap Crap' was never used in that way.
    However it's probably not the best of terminology to be using, it's lazy and I can see it does have possible racial over tones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Uhm... "Jap Crap" or "Jap Scrap" are very commonly used in North America, mainly automotive circles... mainly the Big Three type of circles - I really don't think even in those circles is it intended as a racial slur, its just car guys being car guys - GMC -"gods mechanical curse" or FORD - "Found on road dead" or my favorite (and its a bit ethnically insensitive!!!) FIAT - "Fix it again Tony!". So, the "other side" used to be the Japanese wave of market altering imports - naturally they recieved some less than nice attention.
    I won't give you the one for Pontiac, that one IS just plain racist...

Relax guys, I think most of our Japanese friends have some less than endearing terms for us round eyes (whoo, there is one!)

Its all in good fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Around here we say that FIAT stands for Fix It Alternate Tuesdays. And as a Fiat lover, it is often true.......

Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    FIAT - "Fix it again Tony!".

Its all in good fun.
    Anyway, whats this got to do with Canonets....
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds like BMW which my German wife tells me stands for "Bring mich Werkstadt" (take me to a garage).

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got cars on the mind tonight.

According to a mechanic I know BMW means Bloody Marvel, it Works.

Other translations are Baaaad Maaaaaan Wargone, well so a guy from Jamaica told me. He also said Bob Marley drove them because it stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    That sounds like BMW which my German wife tells me stands for "Bring mich Werkstadt" (take me to a garage).

David.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yup well like Japanese cameras nobody laugths at Japanese cars anymore, certainly not on the relability front.

Do you remember all those Skoda and Lada jokes? I guess you maybe didn't get then in the states.

Why does a Skoda have a heated rear windscreen? To keep you hands warm when you are pushing it.
    What do you call a convertable Skoda? A skip.
    How can you instantly double the value of your Skoda? Fill it up with petrol.

And so on. Mind you again nobody laughts now that they are involved with VW. Word on the street is that although the Skoda's are lower spec than the VW's the QA and finnish is now better on the Skoda than on the VW!

In fact soon it I'll be time for me to move on from the car I've had for the last 9 years, a Vauxhall (GM) Cavalier SRi. I only kept it 9 years because she's been so reliable (touch wood). Guess what I fancy? A Skoda Octavia VRSi, what a lovely little car!

Meanwhile we can always look back and have a wee snigger at those terrible little Canonets!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always do the wrong thing just as the market changes. So you do realise that SLR prices are going to rapidly rise once I sell my F100 and the cost of RFs are going to get as cheap as a cabinet position in the government

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin