Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,991   Online: 798

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't do it Tony.
    I bet you, umm a pint of rodinal within two months of selling her you'll suddenly find a need for a modern SLR.

Nor do you get much at all for film SLR's now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gareth I can .....-up my photographs without all the modern technology If I can't find a good home for it I'll stick it in the local papers, followed by the local charity shop

Edit: You know the one I mean in Brixham LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    Guess what I fancy? A Skoda Octavia VRSi, what a lovely little car!

Meanwhile we can always look back and have a wee snigger at those terrible little Canonets!
    Ah, Skoda! I'll take Armin Schwartz's car any day (He is still with Skoda, right?)

Being born and raised in Poland before moving to Canada, I have many fond memories of FIAT's, Skodas and even Ladas. I remember the Abarth Fiats that my hero Walter Rohl drove to one of his World Championships. I remember, after the last stage of the clinching event he came out of the car, adn when asked to comment on his success he looked the reporter inthe eye and said:

"Good car, wundrbar! Not like zees crappy leetle CANONETS!!! I hate zem! Carappy little camera!!!!"

And now I am banished to the land that considers NASCAR and drag racing bona fide forms of motorsport... not the public services messages against marrying your cousin that they really are... I LOVE Canada... but I miss the European motorspots. And no, I am not a rally fanatic at all...

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There have been rumblings about Skoda coming to the US. Nothing firm yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them here in the next decade.

On my last trip to the Europe I saw my first Skoda Octavia...a lovely car. I wouldn't mind having one myself.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth harper
    And so on. Mind you again nobody laughts now that they are involved with VW. Word on the street is that although the Skoda's are lower spec than the VW's the QA and finnish is now better on the Skoda than on the VW!
    VW has had some very bad times with QC, especially with their Mexican built cars. Consumer confidence among the informed is low and apparently there aren't enough dreamers to make up the difference. (What VW needs to find is that demographic that bought those abysmal Le Cars that filled up junk yards overnight.) So when you say Skoda lower spec, I cringe.

FWIW, I drive a pristine '58 Bug (with year 2000 engine), among other odd little cars.

OB PHOTO - seem my icon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    ...... FWIW, I drive a pristine '58 Bug (with year 2000 engine), among other odd little cars.

OB PHOTO - seem my icon.
    I used to have a 1970 VDub Type II, Purple body with white top. Now that was a really fun drive

EDIT: Mmmmm 1970 .... scary there's a pattern developing here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems to be a common occurence... here's my '72 1200 Deluxe, the day I bought her and the day I sold her six years later. It took six weeks to go from POS to pristine, then the next few years adding and subtracting until she was 'right'.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy I'm in lust that baby is a real beauty. My brother in law started up his business Hall Craft by restoring classic VWs and there's a place near here that also restores them. I have to stay away or my wife would kill me ..... there again if I got rid of our boring car and got a Beetle or Type II I'm sure she would forgive me as she loves them as well

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Tony. There was a hell of a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into that car! I did most of the work myself, the paint job, the chroming of the dash panels, steering column, pedal set and gear stick. The billet ally switches, the leather seats etc. She was lowered 2" at the front with dropped spindles and a disc brake conversion and had a 1600cc unleaded lump with a 32/36 weber. If you look closely at the dash shot you can see the yellow connectors for the electrically heated windscreen.

It must be a 70s thing, which explains the Canonet too...

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy yep I can see those yellow connectors The conversions and renovation are music to my ears, she must sound wonderful. All I can say is that is really was worth the work as I see a lot (loads even) being in Devon and yours would certainly stand out from the crowd. It's classic elegance!!

Btw "It must be a 70s thing" definitely

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin