Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,141   Online: 958

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Summaron goggled on m2

Hi everyone,

I just bought a goggled summaron 2.8/35 for my Leica M2 (which I bought on ebay, and should arive next week). The salesman told me this would work fine, but online I read otherwise... What's your experience?
    I know I can't take the goggles of, but I assume the lens will use the "corrected" 50 mm lines and I should be able to use it...

Best,
    Onno

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M3 viewfinder is 50, 90, 135 so needs the goggled Summaron.

Your M2 has a 35mm & 50mm finder so works with a normal 35mm Summaron. Some lemses have detatchable spctacles.

You'll have to wait and see

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know the m2 would work without the goggles, but do you know if they work with the goggles?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will work with no problems. The bayonet-flanges will pop up the 50mm frames in the viewfinder as they do with an M3 and the goggles will provide the angle of view needed for 35mm.

Stefan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    GReat! That's what I hoped, hope the viewfinder won't get a lot darker.. But this should be ok!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yea the 50 frame is compensated by the goggles. They won't darken the finder. As someone who has bought alot of older leica lenses, have it CLA'd as soon as you can. I'm always amazed that a perfect looking lens to my eye is 100 percent better after a cla.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The googled Summaron will work on the M2, but if you were to remove the googles it would not focus correctly so you'll need to leave them on.

You should check the googles out as well as the lens. I found one at a store near my winter home, it had just been overhauled by Sherry Krauter, and the front part of the lens was rotating freely (the store owner tightened it up with a spanner wrench), and the viewfinder image was distorted (rangefinder images didn't line up right either). Evidently the prism in the googles is adjustable and someone has to take the time to set it properly, because I had a look through another indentical lens owned by someone else, and it was a world of difference. If you're in the USA, I can recommend DAG to clean and adjust the lens if there are any issues with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin