Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,930   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to tell if a M6 is Wetzlar?

How do tell if a M6 Classic is a Wetzlar body or not?

Is the serial number on the flash shoe? Isn't that a stupid place to put it, as it is a part that could be changed out?

danke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera body will have Made in Germany so the camera must have been made in Wetzlar and the latest models in Solms.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Frank,
    You want me to ask on photo.net for you?

Won't it say "made in Germany" and have a "Leitz" instead of "Leica" on the red dot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Solms-made M6's also say "Made In Germany".

But the Solms M6's say "Leica Camera" or "Leica Camera GMBH" on the back along with the "Made In Germany". I presume the Wetzler cameras would have "Leitz" instead of "Leica".

Serial number is on the accessory shoe for all.

The shoe does seem like a dumb place to put it, now that you mention it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I'm Leica disadvantage. What's the difference between Weitzlar and made somewhere else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not much. Some people think the Wetzler-built Leicas were better than those made in Canada and the later ones made in Solms. The Wetzler models might have more value to some collectors.

Personally, I just like to use the silly things. As long as they work properly, I don't care where they're made.

Mine was made by Elves in the Black Forrest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a whole list of aliases for PN. Didn't you know that l was •[•Z and Jay at the same time???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see what difference that this make unless you are a die-hard collector.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio
    How do tell if a M6 Classic is a Wetzlar body or not?
    If it was made in Wetzlar it will have a promiment engraving on top "Ernst Leitz Wetzlar GmbH" like in this picture http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/42/a5/81_1_b.JPG and the logo will say "Leitz". Solms-Leicas have plain tops and the logo will say "Leica". If I were you I would choose a Solms-M6 over a Wetzlar-M6 any time as the former have updated electronics which have some weakpoints eliminated and their reliability enhanced. Furthermore, the sensitivity is 2 stops higher than in the Wetzlar M6 further enhacing your available-darkness capabilities. It is said that some parts are made from lesser materials (die-cast non-adjustable instead of brass multi-part adjustable) but honestly, as a user, I don't care. I would suggest that collectors should stick to their M2s M3s, M4s and M5s and leave alone that humble, modern M6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin