Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,528   Online: 1095

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A slight hijack, but I have a question about the R2A/R3A shutters...

A couple of weeks ago I was in my local photo shop when an elderly gentleman came in with a gorgeous M3. I commented that it was good for my soul to see someone enjoy such a camera. Long story short, I noted that I had just bought a FED 5 and that someday I aspired to an R2A. The salesman (who is a RF nut) said that the only 'problem' he had was that he found the shutter really loud, and noted that the shutter was derived from a Nikon SLR.

Two questions, then. Firstly, is the R2A/R3A shutter really derived from a Nikon SLR? Secondly, although it is probably louder than a Leica, it must surely be quieter than an SLR, no?

Thanks,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    A slight hijack, but I have a question about the R2A/R3A shutters...

A couple of weeks ago I was in my local photo shop when an elderly gentleman came in with a gorgeous M3. I commented that it was good for my soul to see someone enjoy such a camera. Long story short, I noted that I had just bought a FED 5 and that someday I aspired to an R2A. The salesman (who is a RF nut) said that the only 'problem' he had was that he found the shutter really loud, and noted that the shutter was derived from a Nikon SLR.

Two questions, then. Firstly, is the R2A/R3A shutter really derived from a Nikon SLR? Secondly, although it is probably louder than a Leica, it must surely be quieter than an SLR, no?

Thanks,
    Kent
    Cosina made the entry level Nikon FE10 & FG10 SLRs along with SLRs for other companies such as Ricoh, Olympus, Vivitar and I believe the Canon T60. These were all based on the same body which used the mechanical Copal shutter. The Voigtlander L, T, R & R2 were based on the same SLR body minus the pentaprism and mirror. Cosina are very good at keeping development costs down by reusing existing products. They've got a huge amount of mileage out of that original design!

As mentioned before, Copal discontinued their shutter so Cosina had to change to an electronic one which is used in the R2a and R3a. The old mechanical shutter is loud, about as loud as a moderately quiet SLR. Although it always sounds louder to me because as the user I'm holding the camera to my eye and therefore close to my ears! I've never known my subjects to complain about the noisy camera.

I've never heard the new shutter so I can't comment but other people report that it is noticeably quieter, although still much noisier than a Leica.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Production of the Rollei 35 RF ended about a year ago at the same time that the R2 was discontinued. They are still available, however, while the inventory of R2's sold out long ago. Thus, the 35 RF & the Leica MP are the only all-mechanical rangefinders available on the new camera market.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bill; I really do need to catch up! Short lived? The 35RF I mean. What about the Phoenix; is that still about? Must be another manual RF out there? Nothing against electronics I have an F5 and worship it; but a rangerfinder has always engaged the meaning of simplicity: well; to me anyway.
    Brad; my friend who was looking for an R/R2 found an R; he’s over the moon. Must say, that apart from the plastic bits here and there is feels okay to me; I’d buy one for a spare body; might do that if there’s no alternative or a shortage of 35RF’s . Heard that the paint on the 35RF was not that good? You heard/seen anything to back this up?

All the best

B.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin