Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,439   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Getting sardine oil off of a Leica

Last month I purchased a new Leica MP with 50mm f1.4 summilux in limited edition high gloss black paint (not the usual black laquer). With less than 5 rolls of Tri-x through it I took it on a week long Boy Scout trip in Idaho. On day five I was having a snack of mustard sardines and crackers and after I bit into just cracker I looked down to see oil and mustard sauce on the top and front of the camera and a large sardine on the ground. Nothing got on the lens. The funny thing was this did not bother me. I got it to shoot not to sit on a shelf or worse yet in the box. Some Q-tips and mouth wash cleaned it up fine. The alcohol in the mouthwash cut the oil, (I cant expect vodka from my Boy Scouts) and killed the mustard smell. I got one small scratch on the top and some brassing from the strap, and some great photos. The wear looks great. It is not abuse that is what it was made to do not sit like an art object. My point is if you are able to own fine cameras and great lenses use them not your second rate gear, thats what they were meant to do. This also goes for all fine things, automobiles, watches, firearms, china and crystal etc. A Porsche that never leaves the garage is as sad as a Hasselblad in a display cabinet.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess there is a difference of opinion here. Certainly, I can understand and sympathize with those that get pizza sauce or chili sauce from their burritto unto a Leica but I personally feel that carelessness with sardine sauce is an awful fishy thing to do and should be reserved for Nikon Sp et al.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL!

Raucous, your sig is too funny! You that movie, the Boogy Man? Don't watch it and then go into the darkroom to make prints - it just doesn't work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    [...] A Porsche that never leaves the garage is as sad as ...
    We should be so lucky!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... and the award of "Thread Title of the Week" goes to raucousimages!.......

At least you now have the world's only peppermint flavoured Leica...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    On day five I was having a snack of mustard sardines and crackers...
    That is what we used to make the NEW scouts eat on our camping trips.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Porsche not in MY garage is as sad as a Hassy I DON'T own (or Leica)

Yes, certified Porsche-phile here... admission is the first step to recovery...

I agree - you have the means to afford the best, you owe to all hte little people who don't to use it! Otherwise, its just a game of keep away withthe finer things in life...

Sorry, hit a personal note - I have a well-to-do uncle who went through a "photography phaze", bought a Hassy with EVERY toy and whistle there is. It has not left his cabinet in 20 years... And here I am, using the snot outof a Lubitel TLR because its all I got!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    A Porsche not in MY garage is as sad as a Hassy I DON'T own (or Leica)
    !
    Oh, you are going to hate this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Love it. My 1993 911 C2 type 964 is driven often and hard. In racing "if cones aint flying-you aint trying" In photography if you have never briken a lens you dont shoot enough. But that dosent mean to beat your gear, without it you have no images.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is why those alcohol wipes that they use in hospitals are a MUST have.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin