Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,019   Online: 906

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a high-end P&S? One example is the Lexio series from Konica. They're very cheap on the auction site and the optics are surprisingly capable. They make a zoom to 70 and zoom to 115 variation. The 70 is more respected, optically. They are a clamshell and would be familiar to operate for the pilot as it would be very similar to a small pocket digital. I keep one in my glovebox that's been through this torture for years and it constantly surprises me with its results. In the hands of a less-than-dedicated photographer such as your pilot friend, you're likely to get better results with something simple anyway. I'm sure there are others.... I've got a small Leica pocket rig that gives good results but the longer focal length you require would have you looking at zoom models, I suppose.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do you call bargain basement prices? $1500-2000 used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, I picked up a used Olympus 35 RC for my son to use about 2 months ago. It's quite a nice little camera. I did a comparision test between it and my Minolta 7sII and while the Minolta's images were sharper and showed better color and contrast it really wasn't that much of a difference. The RC's photos by themselves look great and the bright viewfinder blows away both of the Minolta 7sII's dim windows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bohica,

Leica makes some compact auto-everything cameras similar to the Yashica T-4 and Olympus Stylus series. They sold new for a few hundred dollars. These are not M series rangefinders. Leica die-hards disown them and they don't have the name recognition among typical consumers. Used prices, as noted above, are probably pretty good, especially for what you get.

Lee

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about a Bessa-L or -T with a 90mm Lanthar? It is hard to find a sharper lens or a smaller camera - and since everything is at infinity you might as well go for the L which has no rangefinder
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    How about a Bessa-L or -T with a 90mm Lanthar? It is hard to find a sharper lens or a smaller camera - and since everything is at infinity you might as well go for the L which has no rangefinder
    The Bessa L and T are fine, compact 35mm cameras. I just shot a lot of color film with my Bessa T in the Eastern Sierra Nevada (and a few rolls of EFKE 100 and Foma 100 & 200 in my Bessa II and Perkeo II).

However, the original subject of this thread was about a recommendation for a 35mm autoexposure RF camera that could do aerial photography with minimal difficulty for the pilot who was taking the pictures while flying the plane.

My recommendation for this purpose remains the Contax G2 with the 90mm Sonnar. I would (and have in this application) set the G2's focus to manual-infinity and let the G2's autoexposure and automatic film advance-burst capability do its thing.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Set the camera to "sunny-16", focus at infinity, duct tape it stuck? The film advance lever on the Bessa-L can't be too advanced for a pilot, can it?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin