Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,551   Posts: 1,573,120   Online: 761

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    The pros & cons of these 2 cameras have been extensively discussed by other posters. I'll just add one comment.

Not knowing what drew you to a choice between these two, I'll suggest that you explore the new Zeiss Ikon & its ZM lenses. If it's the Zeiss lenses that attracted you to the Contax G2, they are now available in M-mount to use on the Bessa R3A, the new Zeiss Ikon, or any other M-mount camera. Early reports indicate that the lenses are at least as good as the Contax G versions - if not better. Information is available at www.zeissikon.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both of these cameras. They are simply too different to give advice on which you should get. It's just too personal a choice. There is a lot written here and elsewhere on the web to give a sense of the standard pluses and minuses, but you should do your best to handle each, look through the VFs and decide which feels better. I love the G lenses, they are the sharpest, most contrasty lenses I've ever used, especially the 28 and 45. However, the reason I got into Leica mount system in addition was to tap into the much wider range of lenses available both in price (in price ranges, from $20 Jupiter-8 to multi-thousand ASPH 35/2) and in lens characteristics and personality (50 year old LTM lenses w/adapters, Leica m-mounts new and old, classic Canon lenses, newer VC lenses, etc.) which allows me more creative freedom from the limited range of G lenses and their bitting sharpness/contrast. That said I'm selling my R3A only because I bought an MP as AE does not fit my style for my uses of the Leica and Leica-mount lenses. I prefer a "match-needle" type of metering for that. But I am not selling the R3A because of dissatisfaction with its performance or use.

Email if you are interested in my R3A and want to see photos of it. Its pristine, in box, with original receipt, and only 6 months old. Maybe a dozen rolls have been though it. I'm asking $500 + shipping.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw a friend at Photo San Francisco over the weekend. He was toting an M6 and has a DSLR. I asked him if he had given up on his G2...

"What? No, I would *never* sell my G2"

Nor would I.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get both of them.
    Play with both of them for 2 or 3 months.
    If you must, sell the one you like least.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't fully read all the other replies on this topic, but I will tell you what I think.

I personally use the Contax line of lenses.. Carl Zeisses are amazing lenses to work with. The 21 and 28 Biogon are unbelievable sharp, and currently going for at good prices.. new and 2nd hand. Many G series users are desperate to get rid of their system because they are worried that they won't have anywhere to have their camera serviced, but don't worry... the G2 is still servicable for the next 10 years.
    I would usually choose a system buy its glass. And trust me, you won't go wrong with the G series.
    The AF of the G2 will take a little while to get used to, but once you've gotten the hang of it, the camera is really a charm. Some find the focusing noise a little loud, but I think its slightly quieter than the R3a.

You won't be disappointed with the G2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by suzums
    The AF of the G2 will take a little while to get used to...
    http://www.botzilla.com/blog/archives/000378.html

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Medium Format

Haha, I'll watch out for that if I ever switch to the G2!

Thanks for the link!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Contax G2

I bought a Contax G2 with the 45mm and 90mm lens and have been disappointed with this camera. The autofocus is unreliable with somtimes 1/3 of the shots out of focus, i do not recommend this camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    TAILS!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin