Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,936   Online: 1201

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADS
    The autofocus is unreliable with somtimes 1/3 of the shots out of focus, i do not recommend this camera.
    A common complaint for those who have not learned how to use the AF on the Contax G cameras properly. My first few rolls were like that. Now, perhaps one frame per roll is not focused right.

Patience, grasshopper. Know the way.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not own either camera. I have made a litttle use of a G2. I had a lot of experience using a Leica M5.

I think the choice of which camera to buy will come down to what you photograph and the conditions under which you photograph.

For reliable focussing in poor light nothing works better than an optical rangefinder. If you know somethinfg will happen at a particular distance and are prefocussed with an optical rangefinder you will have the shortest lag time. It will also be the quietest. In shooting a series of photos the G2 should win hands down due to the motor drive.
    Unless you are using a very heavy tripod or very high shutter speeds either system will provide negatives that are much more limited by your own steadiness than the quality of the lenses available for each system...assuming you do not get stuck with a piece of junk.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, after shooting my R3a in the catacombs beneath Paris, I can definately say that an good rangefinder REALLY helps in low light....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have not tried the G2 but generally I find that any dependency on batteries, or auto settings in a camera, really gets in the way of taking pictures for me.

When I bought into a rangefinder system I started off with a beat up M3, and added most-recent-model, decent-condition, secondhand M lenses as-and-when I could afford them, before later upgrading to an M6 body. If I was starting out now, I would probably do so with a Bessa body like the R3A, and add my lenses in the same incremental way. Whether I decided to upgrade the body later to a Leica body would be less of an issue.

One thing outside handling characteristics that does strike me about the G2 system is that it has a much more limited choice of lens focal lengths and apertures available, particularly when you take into account all the old M-mount lenses, and and also L-screw lenses (with adaptor) that you would be able to put on the R3A.

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daniel, it has been said before in this thread, the G2 and the Bessa cameras with M mounts and LTM mounts have different strengths and weaknesses.

I have both. I like them and use them both. However, in terms of robustness and long term reliability, the G2 (and G1) win.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danielclift
    I have not tried the G2 but generally I find that any dependency on batteries, or auto settings in a camera, really gets in the way of taking pictures for me.

I would probably do so with a Bessa body like the R3A, and add my lenses in the same incremental way.
    Just a heads up as these two notes are in contradiction as the R3A requires a battery to fully operate.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Just a heads up as these two notes are in contradiction as the R3A requires a battery to fully operate.
    I stand corrected - the Bessa R3A does have an electric shutter - I had in mind the Bessa R2 which of course has a fully mechanical shutter, and only uses batteries for the metering.

I still stand by my comment about lens choice though - the Contax lenses might be nice and compact, but you are really lacking choice particularly with regard to large aperture glass.

In terms of useability - it is down to whatever floats your boat. I am not looking to start a holy war - in the end whichever camera you use, it is just a tool to make pictures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW, the G2 (not the G1) has active IR. When using it at night, it will focus in complete darkness over a limited range. Kind of a weird experience sometimes if someone is walking toward you in the dark (or vice versa) and they cross over from >3m to <3m and SNAP the focus locks.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a G1, and I liked it at first, but the AF sucks in dim light, and I would trade it in a minute for a Bessa R or R2.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin