Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,599   Online: 842

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Gnashings, a change to the page is certainly possible, as is your having read it elsewhere and gotten confused about where you read it. In either case, I didn't mean to criticise or attack you, just post corrected information.

The best way to clear up any confusion, of course, would be for somebody with one of these cameras to buy both a 1.5v and a 1.35v battery and try them both under controlled conditions. If they produce the same exposure readings, then presumably the camera has correcting circuits; if not, then it doesn't. Of course, it's also possible that Canon introduced such circuitry without any fanfare at some point in the camera's production life, so some samples might have it while others might not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh no - I did not take it as an attack by any means! I just feel really bad about potentially misleading people with what I held as fact...
    Funny story - I fell asleep at the computer last night trying to locate this ghost claim... I just hope I am not going crazy in my old age I feel like I am in some low budged horror movie or psycho drama: "NO! I swear, I SAW it right there... you have to believe me! I AM NOT CRAZY!!! It was there..."
    And on to rambling incoherently...hehehheehee.
    Well, for what its worth - the claim about circuitry was but one, and in light of all the other advice and comments on the various links and pages, I decided to go with an air-zinc cell. The overwhelming consensus seems to be that your meter will be off iwth 1.5 volts.

By the way - mgb74 - thanks for the link for the adaptor, I think it may be a fun project!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I feel like I am in some low budged horror movie or psycho drama: "NO! I swear, I SAW it right there... you have to believe me! I AM NOT CRAZY!!! It was there..."
    If you disappear in the third act, we'll know to be on the lookout for a rogue voltage-correcting circuit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    If you disappear in the third act, we'll know to be on the lookout for a rogue voltage-correcting circuit!
    My evil plan all along, muahahahahahaha! I will strike at random, correcting voltages of unsuspecting cameras!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are willing to do a bit of surgery on the cameras you can install a Germanium 1N34A diode in series with the battery to drop the voltage of a silver oxide cell down to the proper voltage. There are several articles on the net with illustrations on how to do this. I think this is the best solution as it is a permanent one.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I found this PDF describing adding a 1N34A diode to Olympus OM1 cameras. I didn't find directions any specifically for the Canonet series, but I'm sure the principles would be the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once you get the base plate of the camera removed you need only find an out-of-the-way place to stick the diode and determine that the polarity is correct. Make sure that the diode's leads are insulated so they can't short to the frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    FWIW, I found this PDF describing adding a 1N34A diode to Olympus OM1 cameras. I didn't find directions any specifically for the Canonet series, but I'm sure the principles would be the same.
    Again, I find the OMs work fine with modern batteries with a slight change to the ASA/ISO setting. Surgery (even minor) seems a bit dramatic.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a GIII Ql17 coming to me in the mail. It'll share a shelf with my Yashica GSN; Karen Nakamura writes that the GSN has compensation circuitry and accepts 1.5v with no problems. That may be an element of the source of confusion, but in any case I'm looking forward to using the Canonet. Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go for the MR-9 adapter. It may be expensive but its a one off purchase after which you can buy cheap LR44 batteries. My QL17 GIII is due back in the next week or so after a CLA, and I will be ordering the MR-9 from The Small Battery Company here in Britain.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin