Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,153   Online: 1060

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You are not going mad ...

Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    Oh no - I did not take it as an attack by any means! I just feel really bad about potentially misleading people with what I held as fact...
    Well, for what its worth - the claim about circuitry was but one, and in light of all the other advice and comments on the various links and pages, I decided to go with an air-zinc cell. The overwhelming consensus seems to be that your meter will be off iwth 1.5 volts.
    I recall reading that specific piece of info on Karens site when I picked up my first QL17 GIII. I use a 1.5v battery and have had no issues with metering, although I usually run only B&W film through it. The meter compares within 1/2 stop of a friends Leica M6 so it's close enough for me.

Glenn

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I've received my Canonet (two of them, actually -- one for me and one for my sister). Comparing their meters to what my other cameras' meters get, I found that I got the best agreement when setting the meter to 2/3 - 1 stop lower speed (ASA 100 or 125 with 200 film, for instance). This was with a 1.5v silver oxide battery. It seems simplest to just under-rate the film. Losing the ability to meter properly for Efke KB25 isn't that big of a deal to me, and gaining the ability to meter for ISO 1600 films could be useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great! Enjoy them - my wife and I sure enjoy ours! Also - glad to hear that I was not alone in my "voltage compensating" hallucination!

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSYD
    I use a 1.5v battery and have had no issues with metering, although I usually run only B&W film through it. The meter compares within 1/2 stop of a friends Leica M6 so it's close enough for me.
    I can give you some real-world feedback. I use that "wrong" battery in my GIII and have no trouble with it, if you are of the mindset that the meter is offering a suggestion on exposure and not a mandate.

In my highly-accurate laboratory grade test light box (the blank bathroom wall with the lights on dimmer) the QL17 GIII agrees exactly with the lab standard (a Pentax K1000 which consistently gives good exposures).

In outside sunny-16 conditions, the GIII inidcates a slight overexposure, maybe 1/2 stop, compared to the Pentax.

I consider both of these tests to be well within the ballpark, and the real-world test, shooting slides, confirms it. On a recent roll of Kodachrome 64 I bracketed a few shots I wanted to be sure I got right, and the middle ones were consistently the best exposed. This is my experience on this subject anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    I can give you some real-world feedback. I use that "wrong" battery in my GIII and have no trouble with it, if you are of the mindset that the meter is offering a suggestion on exposure and not a mandate.
    Exactly what I always thought of the little GIII's light meter - and with the same results as dmr - good to hear it confirmed (and I use a wein cell! but still think of the meter in these terms)

Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    In my highly-accurate laboratory grade test light box (the blank bathroom wall with the lights on dimmer) the QL17 GIII agrees exactly with the lab standard (a Pentax K1000 which consistently gives good exposures).
    Hehehehehehe - thaks for that - I needed the laugh, its so true - I have a similar "lab" set up and have crushed many an industry myth in its hight-tech confines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin