Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,120   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petri Racer

Shooter
    Multi Format

Petri Racer

Hi guys, as anyone that's read my threads and posts know, I like older cameras, In 67 I bought my 1st "modern camera" with a built in meter, the Petri Racer, I eventualy sold it and bought a Miranda Sensorex and a Nikkormat FTN that I still have. I recently saw a Racer on ebay and bought it for $2.75 + $4.90 S+H. The camera works and with the addition on a wein cell, so does the meter. The only problem is the shutter button is missing, still usable but a bit cumbersom to push the remaining plate in. I'm sure no parts are available for it so anybody have an idea of fabricating one? Thought of sanding and polishing a small piece of walnut and epoxying it to the plate.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to be sure your fabricated release button accomodates a cable release, if there isn't a separate socket. Not too hard to do even with the walnut idea; just epoxy in a suitable brass nut and sand it and the wood together to get a smooth, "grown in" appearance.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Racer has a cable connection on top and the shutter release was a little smooth chrome affair on the front so that's not a problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aaah. Then a little button of nicely polished and lacquered/varnished wood (walnut, curly maple, etc.) would be very appropriate and feel really nice.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    A Racer with a battery? Both of the ones I owned just had selenium cells around the lenses. Neat little cameras, and great shutters. I'd try the wooden shutter release. Might be an improvement.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first read this thread, I was imagining making a shtter release out of a nut. It seemed like it would be a bit greasy and might start smelling eventually. Glad to hear you were referring to wood!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul lol, that would be interesting, get hungry, eat your shutter release

Shooter
    Multi Format

Petri

Hi Bohica,
    My first camera was a Beauty. A 35mm rangefinder made by Petri. The Petri company was on lower Broadway about 19th Street, and next store was a magnificent old loft type building with a great Victorian tower facade. Years later I found out it was the original "Lord&Taylor Building". I remember photographing the building against the sky. Petri is special for me.
    Win first, fight later
    Hagakure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have another question for you petri guys, there's 1 flash sync terminal with a litle lightening bolt beside it, when i had my original petri, the flash bulb was king, will this work with electronic flash? and at what shutter speed, it has a leaf type shutter but 30 marked in red on the shutter speed dial.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lightning bolt signifies "electronic" flash, aka X synch. It should synch at all speeds. The 30 in red is the highest shutter that will synch with a bulb on the X contact; faster speeds will have the shutter cutting off the light peak, while 1/30 will catch enough to give a good exposure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin