Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,961   Online: 1032

PRB

Shooter
    Medium Format

Contax G2 cable release

Hi All,

Does anyone have an idea where I can find a cable release for my G2. It is some sort of Contax-only release; the owner's guide says it you'll damage the camera with anything else. Love the camera, need the release.

Thanks,
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB
    Hi All,

Does anyone have an idea where I can find a cable release for my G2. It is some sort of Contax-only release; the owner's guide says it you'll damage the camera with anything else. Love the camera, need the release.

Thanks,
    Paul
    The Contax cable release is an electronic connector that makes connection in the shutter circuit. Other than the button there is no moving parts. The "usual" cable release is a plunger that physically pushes the shutter mechanism and will damage any Contax camera it is used with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got mine in the used equipment section of the B&H web site. The cables aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper used than new. Keep an eye on eBay for a Contax L-30, L-100, or L-1000.

The "L" is the Contax release type used for the G series as well as some other cameras, and the number is the length of the cable in centimeters. I got the L-30 for around $12 used...I didn't need to be far away from the camera when I fired it.

There's an active auction on eBay right now for the L-100 (auction #7542514414). I have no connection to it...just looked it up when I saw your question.

Best of luck.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought mine from a stack of them in the Contax display case at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

The release is something of a weak link to the G2, if you are using it, say, for portraiture or other tasks that require quick response -- because you can't force the lens to focus until the moment of exposure. Even in MF it will take a wee moment to drive. If you are using it for night shooting ort landscape, then it works swimmingly.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH has the L30 ranging from $13 to $19 at http://www.keh.com/shop/product.cfm?...&crid=11920127

Paul.

PRB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to everyone who provided information. I found a release on eBbay.

Onward,
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    Paul
    The Minolta CLE & X700 had the same issues.
    It stunned the Contax reps, when I demonstrated to them that the Remote Release for the Minolta CLE, works the same. It just says Minolta on the trigger button instead of Contax.
    At the time it was a lot cheaper. This will help you expand your search.
    They come in 2 sizes, 1 ft & long.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin