Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 832

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i prefer the Bronica RF 645 but was concerned if the 6x45 format would give good quality 16x20 prints, any recommendation?
    About the 645 format: I am working with the M645 pro (Mamiya). Yes, good quality prints for 16X20" (40X50 cm). But I have also acceptable quality prints (40X50 cm) with my M7 (Leica), iso 50 film or Copex or Imagelink on 35mm.
    But no crop then and optimum circumstances.

I am sure the quality with the M7II (6X7 cm) will be slightly better due to the larger negativ. The M7 II lenses are more than excelent but the system is also much more expensive.
    In your case I would be more concerned about the after sales service for Bronica because the company is discontinueing medium format cameras.

Happy shooting and succes with your choice.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never shot the Bronica but I love the quality of the Mamiya 7 lenses (65mm and 150mm). Plus it is a rangefinder with a leaf shutter. This makes hand holding slow exposures easy for me. I only wish I could use a graduated ND filter. I am trying to save for the 43mm lens, which hopefully I will have by next summer. This will be an almost perfect travel kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format

New Bronica RF645

I just ordered a new Bronica RF645 yesterday. I based my choice on images I've seen produced with the camera and the incredible price after rebate. And the compact size of the camera is a real plus. A truely amazing deal. I have the 45mm and 65mm coming with the camera and I found a 100mm used. That pretty well covers what I need from a rangefinder.

I'll psot an update onec I run a few rolls through.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMHO I don't see the point discussing about negative sizes and costs for shot or gear for such a relatively tiny enlargement size.

Any of those machines will give more than fine results, and ALL have serious cons depending the user. Personally I don't like the 645 format, and even less the vertical frame of the bronica, but it's fine if it's intended for portraiture. Now I own a 7II and I'm more than happy with it, but only because it suits my preferences better.

I don't think that high price should be an issue when someone already is considering a specific camera, but if it is, a finely cla'ed Koni-Omega will give the 6x7 size with fine lenses and a RF. Not as convenient but sharp as any of the stated, but RF, and yes, probably you can tell any difference in the final print, but not enough difference to justify the bronica

Rent both if possible, then decide. Technically for a 16x20 you can't go wrong one way or another.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Bronica RF645 arrived today - it's amazingly compact for a medium format camera. And the build quality, at first blush, seems outstanding. But time will tell.

As for price not being a very relevent issue - maybe that's true for professionals or for those of you with trust funds! But cost matters - it's why I don't own a Hasselblad - the base kit is reasonable, but the additional lenses are expensive!

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my Mamiya 7II for $3700. The kit included the 43mm, 80mm, and the 150mm lenses, and a Sekonic 508 light meter. It helped that I had a photographer friend who lives in Hong Kong pick up the kit for me. That price also included customs charges, and shipping fed ex.

I love that camera. I have no problem getting the negs I want on a contact sheet. As for sharp images go check out my picture, "View from the stoop" in my personal gallery. It was made with the mamiya.

Mine is not made of plastic, but metal. I'm surprised that someone called it plasticy. Yet I was in a camera store where the saleman said that the magnesium body was like all plastics, and would break. I guess some don't know their metals.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding
    As for price not being a very relevent issue - maybe that's true for professionals or for those of you with trust funds! But cost matters -[...]
    Robert
    It matters, indeed, but if you were considering the 645RF or 7ii, then I assume that you can afford both, no matter if they are cheap or expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Muihlinn
    It matters, indeed, but if you were considering the 645RF or 7ii, then I assume that you can afford both, no matter if they are cheap or expensive.
    I really didn't consider the 7II, even though it is an excellent camera (a friend shoots one). But I do own Mamiya lenses for my 645. And price was a factor - my kids, though fairly young, are excellent students and I need to fund their 529 plans! So, I now have a Bronica Rf645 with 45mm, 65mm, and 100mm lenses for about $1,500. THe difference betweed that and a 7II kit will keep me in film for quite a while.

Enjoy your 7II - it's a nice camera with superb lenses.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie

Mine is not made of plastic, but metal. I'm surprised that someone called it plasticy. Yet I was in a camera store where the saleman said that the magnesium body was like all plastics, and would break. I guess some don't know their metals.
    It may have been my comment. The body is a painted plastic. The mold marks are still apparent around the window cutouts and there is molded lettering in the bottom that should make it quite apparent that it is injection molded plastic. When it gets this expensive, one tends to call it polycarbonate. There might be confusion in the fact that the paint color is called "Titanium" which describes the color tone. I would love to own this camera and believe it is the most capable 67 made in terms of pure image quality. I had commented about being a bit let down regarding its tactile feel and the hollow, plasticky sense of handling and using it. The Bronica feels as if it came from Solmes in contrast to the Mamiya but I readily agree that when enlarging to any size above 5X7, the Mamiya would show better results when pairing the fine optics with the larger negative size.

Here's the first Mamiya review that came up on Google just now as I was writing this post.. Ken Rockwell Mamiya 7 Review

I hadn't read this one before but it is a good summary of the camera and its versions. He refers to the plasticky nature of the camera and its construction, too.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu
    It may have been my comment. The body is a painted plastic. .
    Really? I thought the body COVERING, BOTTOM PLATE and TOP PLATE is... Ok, then the Leica M2 body must be made of vulcanite...

Could you please stop this nonsense, anyone whose ever had it in his/hers hand will immediately understand, that it can not be made of plastic. It weigts
    920 gramms, and the body is made of silumin-aluminium. And yes, the covering is made of plastic.
    Last edited by jjjs; 12-09-2005 at 02:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin