Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,308   Online: 839

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Bronica RF645 or Mamiya 7II

I am going to purchase a medium format RF for travel and street photography and plan to make 16x20 B&W prints from 100iso film. I am considering the Bronica RF 645 or Mamiya 7II, i prefer the Bronica RF 645 but was concerned if the 6x45 format would give good quality 16x20 prints, any recommendation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot 645 (Mamiya 645 Super) and get what I think are very nice prints up to 16X20. If you prefer the Bronica, get it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/rf645/

I've made a couple of 12x18 prints from HP5 negs, they look great. I'm biased since my RF645 is new, but I like it a whole lot.

Got me a brick of Acros for the long weekend....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    645 is as smaller neg, but this can be a good thing in that you can bring on the grain if you want to. I printed a 20x16 from tri x and yes there is grain but it suits the image. I love my RF645 and passed on the Mamiya for its greater size, far greater cost and too few shots per roll for street stuff. Both are great cameras, but I found the ergonomics and build of the Bronny that much better and more intuitive. I think this is the most important thing. If you intend to do lots of landscapes the bigger 6x7 neg will make a difference however and would be my choice. I have LF for that so the smaller neg suited perfectly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've owned a M7II several times and loved the camera but I don't miss it. To me, it is a 9 shot camera which is a pain in the ass. There is no way to get the 10 shots on a 8x10 contaxt sheet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Bronica and have had absolutely great results with it. Great optics and quick/confident focusing. I also use 6X7 in a Pentax and I'm certain I get a much higher percentage of solid shots when using the little Bronica. My normal printing is 8X10 with 11X14 at times and the Bronica is more than up to that task.

I've almost popped for the Mamiya a couple of times and each time, I set it down after handling it and decide against it. It's likely not the best reasoning and I'm certain it would give great results but the plasticky, hollow feeling of it is not very gratifying and making out a large check for it and its pricey lenses just seemed too difficult. You've got a nice decision to make as I'm certain you would be very pleased with either one as a solid tool.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never used the Mamiya, but the Bronica is a delight: it is ergonomically perfect, and it is light but sturdy. I have never found a 6x4.5 negative a limitation, but I never print any larger than 30x40cm (apprx. 12x15").

Shooter
    35mm
    There is sufficient difference due to negative size to give the Mamiya the edge in terms of sharpness and gradation.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    They both have great lenses, but there is no getting around the fact that one produces a neg 50% bigger. I'm sure that dependent on your technique, you will get some excellent 20 x 16 prints from the Bronica. But I'm equally sure that with the larger neg you'd be operating less "on the edge" and that with some images there would be a difference that you could see. It may be that occasionally that difference would mean the difference between having a great print at the size you want or having to compromise.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Mamiya and use it for travel photography with a 50 mm lens. I also have a 150 mm lens and this kit suits me fine for the general landscape photography I use it for both at home and when traveling.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin