Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,680   Online: 1046

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
    No one has really answered the question of what are rangefinders good for.
    Hey! I (kind of) did!

Jokes aside, I find that they are best (at least the 35mm ones) for things you don't want to be obvious about photographing. I mean, its [SIZE=1]tiny[/SIZE] and the shutter is so quiet it gets lost in any background noise - even a quiet conversation. Funny story:

I was at a camera store in Toronto (Henry's - the outlet store) when a very colourful looking lady walked in very upset that the camera she bought (Nikon f90 I think, if memory serves) did not fit the lenses she already had. She was very animated and dressed like not many people you see. I had to have a photo! With everyone looking at or through an SLR, I took the QL17 and no one was the wiser - even the guy behnd the counter didnt notice I took the photo, and he was talking to me!!! (looking through stuff while doing it - but still!) I think I will scan that photo in - who knows, she maybe among the membership and not even know she was victim of a street photo!

OK - so this post was just an excuse to share that story...

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trivette
    Unfortunately, on rangefinders without TTL metering, there may be a tendency to take pictures of lens caps.
    Been there: done that.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got my Yashica Electro G to power up, I think...Popped a roll of bulk loaded PanF+ into it, and now I wanna go out and play. I've been starting to make my face known at a couple of locations in town, so that I won't be the strnage guy with the camera, when I go to take some street shots. (Well, ok, I'll still be the strange guy with the camera. I just won't be too unfamiliar to the regulars...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, the story.

I went from digital to film about a year ago with a Nikon FE and 50mm f/1.4 lens. It served me well for quite a while, but I then started getting interested in rangefinders. I bought a Canonet 28 from a seller on the 'Bay and got addicted. A little while after that, I sold my Nikon in favor of getting something else (was going to go for an FSU camera or two) and a very nice person offered me a Canon P on a trial basis. I am in love.

All that aside, there are pros and cons to almost any type of equipment. If you have one you should have the other depending on your style of shooting. If you like to do street photography yet you also like to do macro work, you're best off getting a good rangefinder and a decent SLR. If you do street photography and landscapes you could get away with only having one or the other. I'm a street photo/candid portrait person and I love my rangefinders for this. The lenses are sharp and easily focused, they are relatively quiet (the Canonet is a very quiet 'click'), and they are much less bulky than the SLR I used to have. I like shooting black and white film and my style of photography is better suited to a rangefinder than an SLR. My personality is as well. I prefer the feel of a rangefinder in my hands to an SLR, even the older, better built ones.

It's all personal preferences and how you shoot. I am yet another one of those people who buys into the philosophy that it isn't your gear that makes you a good photographer, it's your vision. Find what you're comfortable with using and use it. Don't let anyone tell you that one thing is better than another or that one format is better than another. A person who has the most expensive gear and has no vision will still be a bad photographer regardless of what he bought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie,

I think there is not a single point in your post I dont agree with
    But... I am also a gear junky - I love photography, but I realize I also love cameras. You know the difference, right? Sometimes, I have no idea what I want to shoot - but I know which camera I want to use... Perhaps thats directly lrelated to my level of accomplishment as a photographer - but ts the way it is.
    And if you like the Canonet 28, you will love the QL 17!!! I had no idea what a love affair was aboutto take place when this little camera arrived!
    Then again, I love all my cameras and cant part with any of them - I have a Vivitar P&S - one of the plastic, see through, plastic lens red eye makers bought at a drug store... and I cant part with that thing - now imagine how I am about my real cameras!
    OK - I have raised nothing new here - it is clear I just cant shut up (at least on this subject)

Cheers!

Peter.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just to update the size thingy:

The Linhof Technika III 5x7" has a rangefinder too - can be used with cammed lenses. But even I admit it's of limited use on a 7kg camera (see my avatar).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin