Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,562   Online: 1182

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the simple things in life

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Being female I reserve my right to change my mind on almost anything."
    Some things in life are to simple to change your mind on

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not sure what you mean by bells and whistles? Maybe I have a different G2!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yerbury
    Not sure what you mean by bells and whistles? Maybe I have a different G2!
    For many people, that's anything beyond manual settings for shutter speeds, aperture, and focus. For pinholers an adjustable shutter qualifies.

Since the current context is Contax G2 vs. Leica M6, we're probably talking autofocus, autoexposure, electronic focus lock, motorized film advance.... etc. In other words anything beyond a shutter dial, aperture dial, manual focusing, and TTL metering.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a G2 and love it. One practical advantage to the G2 that I don't see people mentioning is the faster shutter. I find this very useful. It alows me to use fast film, but not be limited to small f stops in bright light. Just the ticket for shooting in varying light.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Perhaps people get to hung up on the 'techie' aspect and forget that its the eye and heart behind the lens that creates the image the camera is simple a means to an end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contax vs. Leica? If you want to save money, why not get a G1? Simpler and every bit as robust, a good one will set you back less than $500. U.S. with the 45mm. I like mine better than the M3's and the R4's that I used to have. Of course it's kind of a mute question for me, since I mostly shoot 4X5 these days. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Played around with a G2 this weekend and posted an image in the gallery from the test roll. Wish it were more manual is all I can say. Although it has manual focus, I can't see when something is or isn't in focus. Anyway, doesn't feel quite right so won't be buying one.
    Played around with the M6 as well. I have no problem loading the film at all and don't understand why it's an issue. The winder didn't work at the end of the roll, so chewed up my negs, and the shutter stuck most times when trying to shoot - which is probably because the camera I borrowed looks like it was run over by a truck! Ouch! I won't be buying this one! The negs I viewed from the M6 (the ones that survived the slaughter) are crystal clear and really quite incredible. The M6 is easy to focus and being all manual with no batteries wins hands down. It's a totally different feel to the SLR and MF which I'm used to but because of it's size, weight, clarity and ease of use - it's on my wanted list. One day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some folks like the Hexar RF:

http://dantestella.com/technical/hexarrf.html

There are other M-mount options, too - Voigtlanders, Zeiss Ikon (eventually). It's nice to have options.

And if you don't mind a slightly larger camera, the Bronica RF645 is an option.

Robert

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Nicole:

If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it. I have 2 G2's and bought an M6 because of the Leica mythology. I didn't l;ike it. I prefer the G2's and that is what I have stuck with. It is an instrument, no more, no less.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin