Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,993   Posts: 1,633,207   Online: 1140

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Eek! you're right, that's "walkeast.com" not "Walkest"

http://www.walkeast.com - Eddie Ng

WOW again! I'm glad I looked back on this thread! I love Eddie's work as well!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm a little late to this party, but I've owned a G2 for about 5 years now and love it. The lenses were the main reason I got it (I own five of them), and I haven't been disappointed. They produce awesome images. It's also nice to have a real-image zoom viewfinder (I find framelines awkward to work with). The 1/4000 sec max shutter speed, 1/200 sec flash sync speed, two continuous shooting modes, and ease of loading were further pluses for me.

One thing I will say, though, is that if you're considering getting one, you have to spend some time with it -- more than a day or two -- before making a decision. For me it wasn't a "natural" at first. Having owned SLR's before, the small viewfinder image was off-putting (though now it doesn't bother me, and the defined image is larger than what you see in a frameline-based RF for lenses 50mm or longer). And yes, the autofocus can be tricky (Bjorke's tips on using it are vital). Once you master it, however, it works beautifully. Sure you lose a few shots when it misses, but for all the shots you do get, it is FAST, far faster than fiddling with MF, as I used to. I do mostly street photography and crowd shooting at events, and I'd never have gotten half the shots that I think are good with any MF camera, Leica or otherwise.

The bottom line, of course, is whether the G2 works for the kind of photography you do. All I'm saying is don't be hasty -- or listen to a lot of the uninformed chatter about this camera, mostly by people who have never used one for more than three seconds -- before making a decision.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have enjoyed reading all of the commentary about M6/7 vs G1/2. It reinforces my choice of a G2 and my dream of an M6/7.

I will compare a similar situation I had using a Fuji GA645Zi vs a Mamiya 6. The Fuji GA is all automatic with full manual overides, like the G2. With the Fuji GA I took great photos (when I did my job of course) and I enjoyed traveling with this camera.

I now own a Mamiya 6MF and like the Leica M6/7 has a meter but is pretty much all manual. I love my interaction with the Mamiya better than the Fuji GA.

There is a place on my equipment shelf for both, but not in the camera bag at the same time. Depending on the day's activities, I take out the G2, a Leica IIIf or a Canonet GIII.

Thanks for the great commentary and debate!

Fitz

Shooter
    Medium Format

not famous but

I'm not famous but I have worked professionally alot with the G2. Hundreds of portraits with the 90mm, 98% of them spot on focus. Dozens of editorial shoots using the 28, 45, 90. A book shot almost exclusively with the 45mm lens. I got into it because my M6 couldnt flash sync at 1/250 and the G2 could. The finder is not great but I'm used to it. Changing lens on the fly can be finicky. Its a very intuitive camera for documentary and events. And rear curtain sync with the TLA 360 (?) flash is nice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin