Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,347   Online: 862

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

A Medalist thats 120 all the way

I just picked up a Medalist I ( 1944 black barrel) at my local pro shop that has been adapted to fit 120 on both sides. This is the first one I have handled so what the insides should look like I don't know but there seems to have been quite a bit of work done. I have to use the red window and cock it manually but the one roll I put through it a week ago when I tried it out was sharp to death so I can suffer through. Anyone else seen one like this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The medalist is a great camera. I sold the one I had and now I'm in the market for a new one. Bald Mountain does the 620 to 120 conversion. Costs twice as much as the camera.

I never found it that big of a chore to respool the film but it would be nice to just pop a 120 in there. You lucky dog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same (basically) lens on my mini-speed. At f16 the resolution outdoes my scanner's ability. Sharpest lens I own.

Wide open, or close toit, it has a very nice character to it as well. It is supposedly a modified Heliar design.

Congrats!

Matt

It is a Heliar type and was designed for this camera and is found in no other. Unbelievably sharp.
    If you have a friend with a lathe, get him to trim the 120 film spool ends down just about flush with the paper and take a skim off the end face.
    Will save respooling.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is a Heliar type, only in that it has 5 pieces of glass in a similar arrangement.

It is so far beyond a Voigtlander Heliar, it deserves it's own name!

The lens is one of the masterpieces of the awesome Kodak Hawkeye works; Kodak used the design in the Medalist, in the 105/3.7 sometimes found on 2x3 graflex cameras, and in other diverse applications.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin