Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,963   Online: 1010

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Summitar lens results

Hello all. I've just aquired a like-new example of this lens (attached to a beauty IIIC.) The first film with images made with this lens is still unfinished in the camera. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Summitar and had any results to show.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank
    Hello all. I've just aquired a like-new example of this lens (attached to a beauty IIIC.) The first film with images made with this lens is still unfinished in the camera. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Summitar and had any results to show.
    I really like shooting my summitar wide open. it gives a very 'classic' look to images, especially good for portraits-- 2 examples attached. Enjoy this beauty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mindy-Cafe.jpg   Bentley1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry about the off topic - but I had a look at those pics, and they really cought my eye! I don't know how much of it is lens (probably little, its the photographer that counts!) - but I love those pics! Especially the first one - its just what B&W should be, in my humble opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 'art' of lensmaking way back in the Summitar's day was to balance the performance to make a uniformly good image: emphasize the good and distribute the flaws in a way that didn't distract. That's the Summitar all over.

Have a good time with it. let's see what you find !

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    pardon if this is a tad off topic. I'm trying to choose between this lens and a 50mm F2.5 Voigtlander COLOR-SKOPAR. I'm leaning toward the Summitar, any opinions?
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    pardon if this is a tad off topic. I'm trying to choose between this lens and a 50mm F2.5 Voigtlander COLOR-SKOPAR. I'm leaning toward the Summitar, any opinions?
    -Bob
    I dont have the skopar but have a CV Nokton and a Summitar they are 2 very different animals. One is super sharp and super contrasty-which is great if that's what you want- the other is less so and IMO shows off it's strong points wide open with slow film. I have to imagine the Skopar is more akin to the Nokton.
    Can you buy both?

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
    Can you buy both?
    What is it called when you can't afford one so you buy both?........ oh yeah Reganonomics!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Quote Originally Posted by frank
    Compared to the collapsible Summicron which followed it the Summitar is sharper in the centre, softer in the corners
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    -Bob
    I had two Summitars at one time, they were sharp, field flatness was good, micro-contrast was average for a 50-year-old lens (low by today's standards). Biggest downside was the lenses' tendency to flare in backlit situations (in a way, this was acknowledged by Leitz in the way they provided a folding lens shade of huge proportions). I see the 50 mm F2.5 Skopar has 8 elements in 6 groups (vastly different from the old Tessar-based Color-Skopar of the 1950s and 1960s). No personal experience of the new Skopar, I would expect it to nearly equal the Summitar at its best and have much better flare suppression, making it a more versatile all-round lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin