Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,529   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Zeiss Ikon Reviews?

Does anyone of you know of any hands-on experience with the new ZI rangefinder or has anyone red any reviews? Just curious ofcourse, not ratch enough to aspire to own it

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since they only started shipping the cameras to their distributors a few weeks ago, I think it'll take a little longer for the reviews to start rolling in. I'd imagine you'll see the first in-depth reviews around the end of November...but expect a lot of bickering...anything in a Leica mount seems to bring out the warriors.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check Rangefinder Forum:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=13252
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=13143

Preliminary, but something nonetheless.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    Does anyone of you know of any hands-on experience with the new ZI rangefinder or has anyone red any reviews? Just curious ofcourse, not ratch enough to aspire to own it

Jaap Jan
    Join the Leica Historical Society of America. In their magazine folks are already using them
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've worked up a quick review of the camera. It's an ongoing thing, and I'm still working on the interface. Might change it to a more traditional layout.

http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon

boc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the chance to play around with it a bit at PhotoPlus a few weeks ago. It's put together very well and feels solid in your hands. The lenses seem to be quite excellent as you'd expect and the mechanics of the whole system just felt extremely fluid and well designed. I've never shot a range finder before but I got excited about it just from playing and talking with the guy from Zeiss who's name escapes me at the moment. I won't be getting one anytime soon as it's a little too pricey for my budget even with a student discount. It's definitely a camera I'd love to run a few rolls through though if given the chance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    I've worked up a quick review of the camera. It's an ongoing thing, and I'm still working on the interface. Might change it to a more traditional layout.

http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon
    Thanks for linking! Definitely impressed just reading, looking forward to hearing more about it!

Shooter
    35mm
    I've worked up a quick review of the camera.http://elekm.net/zeiss_ikon
    Mike,

Nice work, your usual thorough job.

I haven't really been paying attention to the new ZI, because a new 35mm RF & a set of lenses, even a Bessa, are just a financial fantasy for me. I added up what a new M7 and 21-28-35-50-90 lenses would cost.......man, that's lottery-winnings territory!

But your comparison chart got me thinking. That ZI sure stacks up favorably against the M7, at half the price. Sentimentally, I'd surely like to see the Leica company prevail and stay in business. But if I ever came into the $$$, I'd really have a hard justifying purchase of an M7 when the ZI is available. If I was the Leica guys, I'd really sit up and pay attention. Don't know how much of a market they've got left, but it seems like Zeiss is poised to take a bite out of it.

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No doubt the Leica M series are fine cameras. The question will be whether users are willing to pay roughly double for a Leica. Some will, and some won't.

What might be the next interesting turn is how each of them approach a digital body. Carl Zeiss AG seems to be leaning toward full-frame, while Leica apparently is leaning toward a sensor crop. Both will be priced at a premium, but it remains to be seen how much of a price gap -- if any -- separates the two products.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with the Zeiss Ikon. It's really very nicely made. Like all cameras, there are things I like and things I'd change. After just one week, the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

By the way, how's that Rollei?

Shooter
    35mm

Rolleiflex (OT)

By the way, how's that Rollei?
    Mike, the Rollei rules for B&W! Haven't seen color results yet; I shot 1 1/2 rolls of Velvia at Ricketts Glen in October, then the fall colors went away and I haven't finished up the 2nd roll.

Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin