Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,949   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

inherited Leica IIIf

The only problem seems to be there's a loose leaf or 2 in the lens. OK, not so minor a problem. But, if I can get that fixed, is it likely that I can really use this absolutely beautiful camera? And where (preferably in New Enlgand) can I get this fixed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bethe,

Yes, do use it. It may not be intuitive to you at first, but learn the skills to use it and you should be very happy with it. I believe you'll need to learn to cut the film leader a bit longer before loading, as it requires a longer trimmed-down section, although I think some folks manage to do without that. I've seen dimension templates for that on the web, but can't recall where.

For excellent repair recommendations, see this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/23119-leica-repair.html

Have fun with it.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can try Vermont Camera Works.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bethe,
    Congratulations on the inheritance of a Leica IIIf. There are many techs stateside you can fix your leaf challenge. I am spoiled with my M3 which was given to me by my dad before he passed on, I don't cut the leader. Enjoy the camera once you get it back, its meant to be used.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Levine's ( Boston ) has a good repair: they've done LOTS of IIIf work.

For big stuff, DAG, Sherry Krauter.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Levine's ( Boston ) has a good repair: they've done LOTS of IIIf work.

For big stuff, DAG, Sherry Krauter.

be careful if you send things to grimes camera repair in boston.
    it used to be steve grime's shop, but is no more.

the last thing they worked on of mine was a "purple dot" wollensak 90mm lens back in 1997. the shutter needed a cla ... $$$ later they gave it back to me and it stopped working about a week later. then they sent it to a repair guy in california who they have worked with in the past ... $$$ later i get it back to see that it seized up again. when i opened up the shutter, i found red hair (beard clippings?) in the works. that was the last time, and i still regret even making the mistake of bringing it to them ( to think i actually thought they would have had the same service standards as steve grimes ! )

not to mention, they had the old " you are using things POS ... " additude.

maybe they treat people differently now, it has been almost 10 years ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I am assuming that the camera has a collapisble 50mm lens. It is a wonderfully small camera to take anywhere in a jacket pocket..no lightweight though.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The guys at Kindermann in Toronto have a lot of experience in screw mount cameras. I believe that when Leica quite servicing the screw mount stuff they bought all the remaining stocks of spare parts, so they are well equipped to work on them.

I've had my IIIc serviced by them and it came back working like a Swiss watch, which was much better than when it went in. I also inherited my camera and it had sat for a long time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    I believe you'll need to learn to cut the film leader a bit longer before loading, as it requires a longer trimmed-down section, although I think some folks manage to do without that. I've seen dimension templates for that on the web, but can't recall where.
    If I recall correctly, there's a picture of the required leader shape on the inside of the camera base. The required length of half-width leader is 100 mm plus a few mm, minus nothing. It's well worth cutting the leader with a IIIf (or any screw-thread Leica), because otherwise attempts to load the film may result in film abrasion and the release of particles in the camera, which may go unnoticed for some time (the M3 is a bit different as it has a hinged back).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always set the shutter to time to lock it open while loading film, and then I can see if the film is centered in the shutter opening and it also helps to move the film around a bit to make sure that it is engaged on the sprokets.

When I do this I find I don't need to trim the leader. However, you will see the diagram on the inside of the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin